Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Dash light fuse blowing, Any tips appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash light fuse blowing, Any tips appreciated

I have a 96 XL Everything was working well till I put a new to me stereo in the truck. (old one stopped working) I tried a new headlight switch and the fuse still popped. Then i tried a new fuse without the cluster connected with the same results. I cant see how the stereo could affect the dash lights. All other gauges and lights work...just no gauge/dash lights.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont know in the 96, but you usually have a wire that is for the dashlights that goes to the radio, so the radio knows when to turn on and off their lights. maybe that wire is touching ground or something like that.... or another wire in the set.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

You have a short something or something is wired that isn't supposed to be. Did you wire any dimmer lights? Did you use a after market stereo harness or cut up your stock wires? Trace back what you did and you will find the problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there was a pioneer stereo in the truck. and i replaced it with another pioneer stereo. I just copied what the last guy did...All stereo wires minus the speaker wires should be the same. Maybe not i guess

Quick Reply: Dash light fuse blowing, Any tips appreciated