Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cruise deactivation switch fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise deactivation switch fuse?

I have a 1996 F150. My cruise has never worked and the deactivation switch has always leaked.(Since I've owned it.)

I'm about to take the truck on a trip and wanted to get the cruise working.

I tested the deactivation switch and found it defective so I replaced it. Cruise still didn't work.

I then opened up the mile long mess of wiring and found a standard in-line spade fuse. It was blown, corroded, and broken. Bypassed that whole mess and I now have working cruise.

Here's my question. What size fuse does the deactivation switch need? The big wire mess had a tag that said 6 amps I think but the blown fuse was 2 amps. There was a tag that said fuse was unserviceable but I have a waterproof in-line fuse case. I know there was a recall so I don't know what's going on here. Maybe someone added this fuse.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I checked my owner's manual on the 95 and couldn't find a reference. 2 amp seems awfully light though. Unless it's a super thin wire a 6 amp should be plenty safe (I would think). The main purpose of a fuse being to disrupt power if the load is greater than the wires can safely carry or before the serviced unit is damaged - 6 amps isn't very much power, it should be safe enough, but you decide; it's your truck. Could be the 2 amp was plenty but the corrosion took it out.

Quick Reply: Cruise deactivation switch fuse?