Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise control problem

The one thing I didn't check out on my new 93 was the cruise. I took it today to the Ford dealer for a 30k service and check cc because it did not work. They say it needs a servo and a switch. Total cost $670. I did not want to spend that kind of money just to fix one item but unless someone knows where I can get these parts at a wholesale price, it looks like I have no choice. Bad legs on a long drive without cruise sucks and the truck is just too nice not to have it working. Check out my parts wanted also. Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko
The one thing I didn't check out on my new 93 was the cruise. I took it today to the Ford dealer for a 30k service and check cc because it did not work. They say it needs a servo and a switch. Total cost $670. I did not want to spend that kind of money just to fix one item but unless someone knows where I can get these parts at a wholesale price, it looks like I have no choice. Bad legs on a long drive without cruise sucks and the truck is just too nice not to have it working. Check out my parts wanted also. Thanks for your advice.
Boneyard!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM

You didn't mention if your horn is working or not, could be as simple as a clock spring
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Yes the horn works. Got the shop manuals in the mail today. Was going over diagnostic tests. Need to buy me an ohm meter. I have googled Ford Parts Wholesale annd found the servo for as low as $369.00. The only switch is the brake something switch which is connected to the brake line. Replacement of both seem like a piece of cake. What do I need to watch out for on the wholesale parts houses on the web or who is the best and lowest. I have another question my friend and I were talking about yesterday. Being a 93 with such low miles, seems a little odd that these two parts would go bad.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM

not sure if servos are interchangable within the early 80's years but theres a guy giving one away in the classic corner. he just wants shipping cost
Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It's 17 years old, stuff is going to go bad.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a 17 year old part that has a habit of burning itself up. There is recalls on these because of that, if you had the recall done than you will probably need the fusible link. If you did not have the recall done check the brake switch, on a 93 it is on a block bolted to the frame below the master cylinder. If it looks like it has been burnt than it should be replaced under the recall regardless of what your Ford dealer says. Some dealers will try to have you pay for parts and service that would normally be paid by the company.

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem