Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

cranking but no fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranking but no fire

my dad has a 1988 f150 w/ the 300I6 in it. the other day he was driving it and it just died. it cranks but wont start. I can hear both fuel pumps prime off the switch and smell fuel after a few minutes of trying to start it. the weird thing was when it died, the 4 way flashers wouldnt flash just lite up and stay on. though it was a ground so i replace the negative battery terminal b/c it was cracked and even added a new ground to the body. flashers work now but truck still will not start. ive checked spark and i have spark but not sure if its enough. any ideas on what electrical stuff to check and anything else it might be?

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Igniton control module is a common failure part and can be tested at the auto parts store. You can also check for codes, directions are at the top of this section.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

thanks for the help...

couple questions...where would i find the ignition module and after i pull the codes, where do i find the list of them to see what they are?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

You can buy a Haynes manual to look up the codes, or you can just post here and someone will tell you what they mean. The ICM is the box screwed to the side of the distributor.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM

thanks....ill get that module checked out tomorrow
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
The Mud Duck

I was curious if you found the cause to the truck not starting.
i had a simular issue, and was going to tell you what my mechanic and i ended up doing, and the process we took to get there.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM

cool...ill take all the advice i can get lol
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by the_mud_duk
I was curious if you found the cause to the truck not starting.
i had a simular issue, and was going to tell you what my mechanic and i ended up doing, and the process we took to get there.
I wouldn't mind hearing about that also. Do we need to join a "Forum" or something before you tell us?

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 AM
The Mud Duck

I am not sure if we need to join a forum...
here is the back ground. i was driving down the road, and my 89 with the 4.9 just dies. no warning, nothing. so i got it towed back to where it could be worked on.
checked for spark, none. checked the coil. fine. checked for a turning rotor in the distributor and it wasn't. so my mechanic thought to check to see if the valves were moving before replacing the dist. and they weren't. so it turned out that it was the fiber timing gear had given up. after replacing it with a steel set of gears it runs great again. i would suggest working backwards, and checking for valve movement, but that's just me..
hope this helped
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by the_mud_duk
I am not sure if we need to join a forum...
here is the back ground. i was driving down the road, and my 89 with the 4.9 just dies. no warning, nothing. so i got it towed back to where it could be worked on.
checked for spark, none. checked the coil. fine. checked for a turning rotor in the distributor and it wasn't. so my mechanic thought to check to see if the valves were moving before replacing the dist. and they weren't. so it turned out that it was the fiber timing gear had given up. after replacing it with a steel set of gears it runs great again. i would suggest working backwards, and checking for valve movement, but that's just me..
hope this helped
Wow! Didn't see that coming! Thanks for sharing that.

Quick Reply: cranking but no fire