Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

coolant sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant sensor location

hi i need to know where the coolant sensor is located on a 96 f150 with a 5.0 my truck wont start when warm and it seems to be at high idle all the time. i went on a trip this morning and i stopped to fill up with gas and the truck would not start. i was a hour away from home so when it finally started i drove back home. then a po125 code popped up so i hopped on the net and everything led to thermostat and possibly coolant sensor. so i drove to local parts store and picked up a thermostat and coolant sensor. i asked the parts guy if he was sure he give me the right sensor he said yes. well i changed the stat but cannot find a sensor that looks like the one i got. is my sensor right on the housing where the thermostat bolts. the truck still will not go to low idle and still starts very hard warmed up. the code did not come back yet. also heard some noise coming from under the truck like someone crunching metal so i crawled under there and the muffler looks like it is collapsed. i put it on maybe 2 years ago and the truck does not get driven much at all. it is a 3 vehicle. so i dont know if the muffler or cat is restricted. is there any possible scenario on why the muffler would be crunched up other than running over something to damage it. anybody please give me some feedback. can i attach pics here. i just joined the forum today so it will take me some time to get the hang of this. i need this truck now so helpppppppppppp

jim
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In the manifold or water neck, cant remember, it has 2 wires going to it. The 1 wire is the temp sender.

Quick Reply: coolant sensor location