Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Coolant Leak, Headbolts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, Headbolts?

I just did a complete rebuild of my 1993 5.0 and I'm leaking quite a bit of coolant. Not like a leaking hose, but enough that I notice a 2"x2" puddle dropping from the eng/trans connection after about 30 minutes of driving.

I've traced it up the block and it appears to be coming from between the head and block right by the rearmost lower headbolt. I know the lower bolts go through passages but I was told to install them dry (they have a sealant on the threads precoated). Heads and block were both recently checked out and given the OK (didn't have this leak before I rebuilt).

Maybe a bad HG or bad seal on the HG bolt? Temps are staying normal when driving - just keeping an eye on my coolant level.

Any ideas on suggested fix (assuming I have to pull the head and get a new set of head bolts, HG)?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Check the back of the engine on that side and see if the intake gasket is leaking. I've had one leak back there and the coolant followed the edge of the head before running down the block. It looked just like you described yours.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looked into this one myself, appears to be a common spot on these engines. All mechanics consulted said the if leak is small, then don't do anything major. Most leaks are small because of the design.
I was told to just Use a good stop leak. Mechanics have access to a really good coolant system stop leak product. It's putty like, black, not sure why it's only sold to shops.
Timing shaft seal is common also, and the fix is a little more special.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by R.low.
Just looked into this one myself, appears to be a common spot on these engines. All mechanics consulted said the if leak is small, then don't do anything major. Most leaks are small because of the design.
I was told to just Use a good stop leak. Mechanics have access to a really good coolant system stop leak product. It's putty like, black, not sure why it's only sold to shops.
Timing shaft seal is common also, and the fix is a little more special.
Until it clogs the radiator.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LOCO LAPTOP
Until it clogs the radiator.
Or heater core!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

He's talking about the external stop leak. It's literally a putty band-aide. Please don't do that. Find the leak and fix it right. I dispise stop leak in all it's forms. It was originally designed to be an emergency fix to get you to a service station. Not to use then drive the rest of the short life down the road. Design or not, it shouldn't be leaking. That means you have a problem, a minor one, but a problem. Just take your time and repair the leak properly.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Those lower head bolts require a good amount of sealant on the threads. I use Permatex Aviation Sealant Liquid Item 80019. I'll also add in your situation you could use a small amount of copper block seal, I've had to use it on several vehicles and it does work. It won't clog the radiator or heater core. The only other viable option is to tear it down and reinstall head bolts with sealant. Our 4.9 had an internal minor coolant leak and cooper seal fix is going on four years.

Last edited by sdmartin65; 12-21-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, Headbolts?