Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Common 302 Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common 302 Restrictions

I am looking at buying a 2wd 95 F-150, and thinking I should make it faster, so I am wondering what the main restrictions are on these trucks, since I can't seem to find the information any other place
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 AM

your truck auto or stick?

i guess making it go faster is a combination of things.
trans, gearing,making it lighter maybe.

i think 302's are very good motors, i have had good luck with them, but its all in your gearing.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Converted
I am looking at buying a 2wd 95 F-150, and thinking I should make it faster, so I am wondering what the main restrictions are on these trucks, since I can't seem to find the information any other place
The greatest single potential restriction would be if you purchased a truck who's engine had MAP rather than MAF for determining intake air flow. W/o MAF & Sequential Fired Injection that comes w/ it, your severely limited as to future performance Mods, unless you do a MAP/EFI to MAF/SEFI conversion, and that's $700 - $1000 by itself. You could attempt a boneyard donor 4 parts conversion for alot less, but GFL (Good Frickin Luck)! Then again, you might get lucky, it would be easier to find the conversion items needed to do a 95" than for my 87". Best thing, check under the hood & make sure it's MAF to begin with. While MAP/EFI compared to MAF/SEFI is not as drastic as Carb to Injection, it is a quantum leap!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Ok, thanks for the information

So basicaly your saying a MAF is going to do much better then a MAP and I should check if I have that, and if not, switching it would be good?

Ok, so thats computer stuff, is there any mechanical restictions? someone told me that 302's normaly have a very restrictive exhaust system?

Last edited by Converted; 01-09-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM

[quote=Converted;358536]Ok, thanks for the information

So basicaly your saying a MAF is going to do much better then a MAP and I should check if I have that, and if not, switching it would be good?
MAF is much more accomidating to modifications than MAP & also comes w/ the added benifit of SEFI. Don't put yourself through the trouble & expense on haveing to do a MAP to MAF coversion in the first place. It also requires changing the engine & injector harnesses & ECU. Start w/ a MAF truck to begin with.
Ok, so thats computer stuff, is there any mechanical restictions? someone told me that 302's normaly have a very restrictive exhaust system?
Here's a practical overview including pitfalls of EFI performance Mods: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=9 On the exhaust, bring both exhausts into a Y connector that increases in diameter, and feeds a single hi-capacity Cat, that in turn feeds a full flow, unrestricted "whatever" muffler. I like glasspacks. An Ignition Upgrade w/ timing bump is the best & only Mod that complements any & all other mods. Increasing, performance, MPG, and reliability simultaneously!http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump This Mod Fits effortlessly into all sensor parameters!!! No math required for this decision, just a little elbow grease!

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-09-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Thank you very much for all this information, it has helped me a lot (I am new to the world of Ford motors) I shall see what I can do, I honestly don't have a clue if its SEFI or EFI but I shall find out if/when I buy it.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Converted
Thank you very much for all this information, it has helped me a lot (I am new to the world of Ford motors) I shall see what I can do, I honestly don't have a clue if its SEFI or EFI but I shall find out if/when I buy it.
It's simple. MAP is EFI (left & right bank fired) // MAF is SEFI (individually,sequentially fired) Your choices: Carb/MAP=basic// MAP/EFI=better// MAF/SEFI= best ...... & If the truck has a distributor ignition, you have the wonderful option of upgrading the ignition system & bumping the timing, with the full blessing of the ECU (no replacement, reprogramming or chipping required.)

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-10-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
It's simple. MAP is EFI (left & right bank fired) // MAF is SEFI (individually,sequentially fired) Your choices: Carb/MAP=basic// MAP/EFI=better// MAF/SEFI= best ...... & If the truck has a distributor ignition, you have the wonderful option of upgrading the ignition system & bumping the timing, with the full blessing of the ECU (no replacement, reprogramming or chipping required.)

I should really take a closer look at the truck, I know its injection, but I will obviosly need to take a quick look under the hood (it doesn't really make a difference to me, it won't be a deal breaker) and the ignition system upgrade sounds wonderful, we have a local place that makes KILLER ignition systems, (I have heard one of the best in the world) I am mostly looking into upgrades that will "free up" the engine, not just add power, anyone can do that, I want to make the engine run at its best, make it breath well, and good spark, good timeing, all that Jazz

Quick Reply: Common 302 Restrictions