Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Column Gear Selector Only Engages D and N

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column Gear Selector Only Engages D and N

Hey guys, i have a 93 ford f150 with the e40d transmission. After some recent cold weather, I went to shift my truck from P to D and the Handle just let loose. It is still on the column, but there is no spring to it and now I can only select Drive and Neutral. I was able to get reverse to engage if I pushed it all the way counterclockwise, but it wont do that now. I have never worked on this before, any insight?

THanks...

Jim
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check the cable that connects the handle with the transmission. make sure its ok .One end its located by the brack pedal. u can see it there. and the other end its under the truck one side of the transmission . if u can disconect the cable on both sides and see if handle work by itself on each position P-R-N-D-1-2 also check to make sure the brackets that hold the handle and shaft to the steering colum still ok. some time they get lose or braeke then go under the truck and try to shift the transmision by hand. u should be eble to feel every position too.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

I recently had the exact same problem. Mine ended up being a quick fix. Under the dash you can see the mechanism that moves as you move the column shifter. There are supposed to be 2 screws that connect this to another fixed item. Therefore, when you shift, it pivots off of that area.

One of my screws fell out (luckily i found it and it led me to the problem).

All I had to do was put the screw back in place and everything started working again.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM

^lucky! mine just did it and i think its broke...i was going from Drive to Reverse and it made a sharp CLICK and just started freesliding. i get most of the gears but reverse and park are kinda in one right now.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Default what it was , was...

I did repair the truck. It was the column shift rod. It just snapped in two. I actually got the replacement part at napa. It was quite simple to fix.

Quick Reply: Column Gear Selector Only Engages D and N