Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clutch-starter safety cutout switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch-starter safety cutout switch

In order to start my truck (1989 Bronco, 4.9, manual) I have to press really hard on the clutch pedal. I believe the clutch safety cutout switch is wearing out, but I cannot even figure out where the thing is, to try and fix or replace it. I have also thought about bypassing it, but the wiring in my truck is a confusing tangle. Please help!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe( but could be wrong) its a part of or near your slave
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Off road rebel

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I was wrong. I looked and it is actually a part of your clutch pedal. It is a a small black thing by the firewall. Under the dash
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dont delete it, it is on the push rod and it actually pushes against the master, if it is like the ranger setup, one day you will forget and start the truck w\o the safety switch.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m
Dont delete it, it is on the push rod and it actually pushes against the master, if it is like the ranger setup, one day you will forget and start the truck w\o the safety switch.
I have relied on that start in gear to keep me from rolling backwards to my demise, it wasnt common to have a clutch interlock until about 30 years ago, so i learned to bump the shifter into neutral plant my foot on the brake and roll the starter. Unless I stall out on a steep climb, rockpile or vw bug, then ,throttle down, low gear and cranky boom.

The switch is on the slave cylinder push rod,

Heres where mine was,
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Not easy to bypass.. it feeds the start circuit, the computer and cruise control if you have it. I have thought about bypassing it since I don't have cruise and stalling on a steep hill it can be dangerous to use the clutch. I use to always start my jeep by bumping the starter while in gear if I stalled on a steep climb.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Not sure what I am looking at, here. Is it that black cylindrical piece that the rod is running through? Do you have to disassemble the dash, to get at it?

Originally Posted by Scraptor
The switch is on the slave cylinder push rod,

Heres where mine was,
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5Rangers
Not easy to bypass.. it feeds the start circuit, the computer and cruise control if you have it. I have thought about bypassing it since I don't have cruise and stalling on a steep hill it can be dangerous to use the clutch. I use to always start my jeep by bumping the starter while in gear if I stalled on a steep climb.
Some toyotas had an overide switch, which would be easy, just splice a momentary switch, like a starter button to connect the red wires when the button is pushed, a little monkey work and you could power the starter off the same switch, and have low speed electric drive. Would that qualify for a tax credit as a hybrid?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GungaDan
Not sure what I am looking at, here. Is it that black cylindrical piece that the rod is running through? Do you have to disassemble the dash, to get at it?
Its above the throttle pedal, the switch is missing , the rod you see is the slave
Cylinder push rod, exposed after removing the switch, the bungle of electrical tape hanging down is the old switch connector, i had to splice the red wires together to make run, i can t help with how to remove the switch, i smashed mine off with a screwdriver and buck knife one dark and stormy night.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Scraptor
Its above the throttle pedal, the switch is missing , the rod you see is the slave
Cylinder push rod, exposed after removing the switch, the bungle of electrical tape hanging down is the old switch connector, i had to splice the red wires together to make run, i can t help with how to remove the switch, i smashed mine off with a screwdriver and buck knife one dark and stormy night.
So, what I am looking at, is to the right (facing forward) of the steering column?

Quick Reply: Clutch-starter safety cutout switch