Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clutch safety...1989 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch safety...1989 F150?

Hello,

I have been having difficulty starting my truck after the temperature warms and then turns colder. I believe moisture is somehow getting to the clutch safety and breaking the connection when it freezes. Everything appears to be working although it will not turn over. It does not consistently do this although when the temps are right and there is enough moisture it happens. I tried placing a hair dryer under the clutch pedal and after sometime it fires to life. Can anyone tell me where the clutch safety is and/or explain how to bypass it? This is a yard plow truck so I am not overly concerned about the safety issue as it is not used very often.
Thank you greatly for any thoughts or suggestions you may have!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board!

The switch that you are looking for is somewhere under where you were placing the hairdryer. A Haynes, or Chilton's manual should be of some assistance with your problem. They are worth the $20 or so that they cost.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks!

I have been thinking about getting one although this truck has run like a champ and I have drug my feet on getting one. This is my third winter with it and no problems till now. I do take care of it and do not plow hard.

I have really looked up under the pedals and couldn't find anything and was wondering if it was on the other side of the firewall although when looking in by the engine I couldn't see anything that suggested that is what it was.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The clutch safety switch looks like a brake switch. If the truck has cruise control it will have a vacuum line to it as well as 2 wires. You can jump the 2 wires out and bypass it (although I do not reccomend this as a fix) to see if you still have the problem, which I suspect you will. I am thinking more of the solonoid on the fender or a bad starter as the culprit.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Do you think I have been lucky using the hair dryer to get it going? I have had to do it 3 or 4 times in the past couple of weeks and it has worked every time. Additionally, I have never had this problem in warmer temps, above freezing....it always fires up like a champ.

Thanks for the info and feedback, I appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Don't hear of these switches failing very often - not nearly as often as the main starter relay solenoid or the starter itself. However, can't argue with the hair dryer success story either.

If you don't know what it is, then start checking and verifying to figure out what it's not.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

I feel fairly confident it is the switch or rather the cold and freezing affecting its proper functioning in some manner. I am asking because I am not very knowledgeable regarding mechanics and want to hear from folks with the actually experience and/or knowledge. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGraham
I feel fairly confident it is the switch or rather the cold and freezing affecting its proper functioning in some manner. I am asking because I am not very knowledgeable regarding mechanics and want to hear from folks with the actually experience and/or knowledge. Thanks!
That would be NGM, wde3477 and Triton7700 that I know of for sure.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM

my questions is do you know where each of them are...lol
Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM

So I found the switch between the brake and gas pedal against the fire wall. The challenge I am going to have is to figure out which two wires are for the safety because there are 6 or 8 going into it. Anyone have any thoughts...???

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Clutch safety...1989 F150?