Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clutch problem? Not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem? Not sure...

When I start my 91 f150 4x4 I have to practically put the clutch through the floorboard before the starter will engage. I'm wondering if there is some kind of adjustment I can make on the clutch or if it is a clutch problem at all.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the clutch safety switch on pedal arm.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by fomoco998
Check the clutch safety switch on pedal arm.
Any fixes? Mine engages about a inch from the floor.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chris.Short
Any fixes? Mine engages about a inch from the floor.
So I changed the clutch safety switch on the peddle it lasted about a week and I was back in the same situation. I looked up a video on YouTube to bypass the safety switch. It was very easy to bypass. Now it works great. By the way I was named after my cousin Chris Short. Small world.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 AM

I have experienced similar problems with my son's truck. It has been at the shop more than we've been able to drive the thing! Master, slave, hoses, clutch,clutch safety switch, transmission, bushing....just about everything has been replaced. I'm am beyond frustration. Got too much money in it now and wishing I could find some answers. I trust my mechanic, but he is having a hard time fixing this problem~it will drive ok for a few weeks and then we are back to the same problem~lines have been bled almost every other month~I know my mechanic is tired of me pulling up and I'm trying to have patience so this problem will be fixed. Clutch all the way to the floor/will not engage. Hard going into 1st and reverse. At the point now where we leave in 1st gear otherwise have to turn truck off, put into 1st and then it will drive. I'm searching for answers.....please help.....I need this vehicle operable!

Last edited by totallyfrustrated; 04-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by totallyfrustrated
I have experienced similar problems with my son's truck. It has been at the shop more than we've been able to drive the thing! Master, slave, hoses, clutch,clutch safety switch, transmission, bushing....just about everything has been replaced. I'm am beyond frustration. Got too much money in it now and wishing I could find some answers. I trust my mechanic, but he is having a hard time fixing this problem~it will drive ok for a few weeks and then we are back to the same problem~lines have been bled almost every other month~I know my mechanic is tired of me pulling up and I'm trying to have patience so this problem will be fixed. Clutch all the way to the floor/will not engage. Hard going into 1st and reverse. At the point now where we leave in 1st gear otherwise have to turn truck off, put into 1st and then it will drive. I'm searching for answers.....please help.....I need this vehicle operable!
What year truck, and which engine, F`150, F250 etc.?
The following users liked this post:
totallyfrustrated (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by totallyfrustrated

You need to find another mechanic...these are fairly simple setups....and to throw parts at it solves nothing. Replaced transmission and clutch???

All this for an adjustment or ..

More details or please open your own, new thread.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
You need to find another mechanic...these are fairly simple setups....and to throw parts at it solves nothing. Replaced transmission and clutch???

Originally Posted by 88xlt
What year truck, and which engine, F`150, F250 etc.?
I'm desperate for answers. F150 Not sure on year model. Body is a 1995, but when we purchased the truck, the people we purchased from were "car enthusiasts"~and put another engine, set up in the truck. ....it is a manual 4x4....teenager dream truck. yada yada yada....engine has been fine, everything else fine, but this clutch problem is about to drive me and my son insane. We have you tubed for months. We have so much money in this truck it's ridiculous! Same original problem we took it in for. When clutch is pushed in (to the floor-hard) the drive train is still turning.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc

Not sure how to post as new thread. So frustrated. The clutch assembly is "self adjusting".....the forks/gears are not lining up. Can't believe it has given us this much grief.....have sunk a lot of money into this truck. I believe it will be a great vehicle if we could just get this worked out.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I assume you have checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder? Don't forget to remove the rubber cup under the cap before checking the fluid level and adding brake fluid. You may already know all this, just checking.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem? Not sure...