Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem

Ok, First problem I have had with the truck.

I came out the other morning to go to work got in the truck reversed put it in first and it stalled. I was kind of confused and noticed the clutch stuck to the floor. I pumped it a few times and it was fine after that. While going home that night the clutch started to get really close to the floor.

The next morning I go out to the same thing and it wont come back up. There is no pressure at all in the clutch and it wont disengauge or go into gear when started. If started in gear it will take off. lol.

I checked the fluid is good and there are no leaks except for a small oil leak.
Any ideas what is going on?

I thought it was due to the cold because it happened on the first very cold day and it has been cold since... but I did some research and found that it may be the slave cylinder or the clutch but I dont know. The truck has shifted fine and been driven gently only in the city since I got it.

Edit: Oh forgot to say what kind of truck i have. Its a 95 f150 4x4 with the 4.9 300

Last edited by zero32700; 12-06-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happened to me last winter

I've got bad news. This same thing happened to me last winter. As I was cranking the motor the pedal went to the floor. It's most likely the slave cylinder. And some engineer in their infinite (penny pinching) wisdom put this part right behind the pressure plate.

Check to see if their is any fluid dripped from the very bottom of the tranny, close to the (non-removable) inspection plate. If you find traces of brake fluid, it's likely this slave cylinder. Unfortunately you do have to pull the tranny to get it out. I waited for a warm day and rented a tranny-jack. I didn't even have to jack up the truck or lower the tranny much. I just pulled it back and replaced the slave ($60). Also you should get the tool to remove the hydraulic line. It's a simple $5 ring that just pushes a plastic bushing in the coupling to release it. It made that part easy. I'd also recommend to start spraying those cross-member bolts with penetrating oil a couple days before doing the job.

Sorry about the bad news. But I'll check back on your progress. I wasn't happy about the design either, but the job went relatively quickly. Good luck
Old 12-07-2007, 02:52 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at this myself make makes glad I have an automatic. I don't know how many miles you have on your beast but if you are going to have to pull the transmission to get to the slave cylinder you might just as well replace the clutch and pressure plate too.

As for a transmission jack take a look at this.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178

Last edited by transmaster; 12-07-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: clutch problem