Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch problem

I posted this in the driveline section a few weeks ago with no response; thought I'd try here.

1996 f-150 2wd lwb 300 straight 6 m5r2 5 speed 153,000 miles

I had a reputable shop replace my clutch,pressure plate, throw out bearing and slave cylinder (slave cylinder is internal). About a month later I was driving and went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and heard a loud "pop" and the clutch pedal fell to the floor. I lifted it with my toe and then it was like it was welded into the up position; it would not budge. I limped to work in 2nd gear. I took it back to the shop and they found that the end of the slave cylinder where it links up to the clutch rod assembly had snapped off. They replaced the end assembly of the slave cylinder and 1 1/2 weeks later it broke again, again while shifting from 2nd to third gear. Shop came and picked it up and dropped transmission and replaced the entire slave cylinder from a different manufacturer. The put it all back together and it broke again on their test drive. They then replaced all clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw out bearing with different manufactuer parts (at their cost) and it broke again in the same place while they still had the truck. I'm not out any cost right now other than the original job. I called to check on it today and they were stumped and on the phone with Ford to try to figure out a cause. I'm at a loss too. Any ideas from the folks here? Thanks!

oldwest
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwest
I posted this in the driveline section a few weeks ago with no response; thought I'd try here. 1996 f-150 2wd lwb 300 straight 6 m5r2 5 speed 153,000 miles I had a reputable shop replace my clutch,pressure plate, throw out bearing and slave cylinder (slave cylinder is internal). About a month later I was driving and went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and heard a loud "pop" and the clutch pedal fell to the floor. I lifted it with my toe and then it was like it was welded into the up position; it would not budge. I limped to work in 2nd gear. I took it back to the shop and they found that the end of the slave cylinder where it links up to the clutch rod assembly had snapped off. They replaced the end assembly of the slave cylinder and 1 1/2 weeks later it broke again, again while shifting from 2nd to third gear. Shop came and picked it up and dropped transmission and replaced the entire slave cylinder from a different manufacturer. The put it all back together and it broke again on their test drive. They then replaced all clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw out bearing with different manufactuer parts (at their cost) and it broke again in the same place while they still had the truck. I'm not out any cost right now other than the original job. I called to check on it today and they were stumped and on the phone with Ford to try to figure out a cause. I'm at a loss too. Any ideas from the folks here? Thanks! oldwest
Did you replace the hydraulic line going from the master cylinder to the slave? I replaced my slave and all other stuff and not the hydraulic line. When I pressed on the clutch pedal the line would snap off the slave because the end of the hydraulic line was not very good and would cause this several times until I replaced the hydraulic line. If the problem is just with the slave i would go with one from your ford dealer. They last a very long time and I haven't had the best of luck with the aftermarket slaves. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: clutch problem