Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clutch Pedal and Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal and Slipping

I have a 92 4.9L manual trans. I have noticed the clutch slipping under high load, but it is a new clutch (I did not intsall it, the previous owner had it replaced recently and I know that for sure). I have noticed that the clutch pedal takes almost no travel to disengage the clutch fully. There is no free play at all, and the clutch only engages for about 1" or pedal travel. You can actually release the clutch enough to shift by resting your foot on the pedal. I know this is not correct, and that the hydraulic clutch cannot be adjusted (correct me if I am wrong), so where is my issue? I am thinking throwout bearing maybe. Any ideas on things to check before tearing into the trans?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you can do is take it off and take a look, sorry
Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The clutch can't be adjusted, but the pedal can. Some clutch master cylinders have an adjustable pushrod, but I'm not sure if yours does. Remove the pushrod from the pedal and see if it extends past the attaching point. If it does, then it isn't correct. If you can adjust the pushrod to move it to the correct spot then do that, otherwise you will have to remove the lever on the pedal that the pushrod connects to. Take off the nut, pry the lever off and put it back on in a new position to line the pushrod up with the attaching point.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM

Sean,

I just so happened to find that in my Haynes manual before you posted that! The pushrod lines up perfectly, so that can't be the problem. Looks like I just have to bite the bullet and tear this thing apart! Thanks for the tip though.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 AM

OK, I pulled the trans this weekend and replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressurer plate throwout bearing, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, rear main seal, and clutch master cylinder. The clutch in there was demolished! It was grinding down the rivets and scored the flywheel. So now with everything in, it shifts great, and my engagement is back to a normal point.

However, I have noticed that every once in a while at higher speeds (55 mph or so) I cannot shift in or out of fourth gear. It is intermittent and usually only happens once or twice a drive (20 miles or so), the rest of the time it is smooth. It did not do this before the clutch replacement even with the bad clutch. Any ideas? (Hoping you don't say syncros!!)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
We'd do it

Probably the shifter bushings. At least you won't have to pull the tranny again.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks Sean, any guidance on how to change the shifter bushings? I have never done or even thought about those before. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM
We'd do it

Here's some explanation on the process:
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...hifter+bushing

This is a how-to on the subject with pictures (says Ranger but almost identical):
http://therangerstation.com/Magazine...erbushings.htm

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal and Slipping