Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clutch Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master Cylinder

I have a 1996 F150 with a 4.9 EFI and a 5 speed m5r2. I got it about 6 weeks ago and the clutch slips under load, or a hill etc. I got a clutch and replaced it. When I took it apart the clutch disk looked new, so I figured it was the slave cylinder since I have heard they aren't the greatest, it has the internal slave. I also replaced the slave along with the clutch disk, pleasure plate, and flywheel. I have it back together and I had a hard time bleeding it but eventually I got some pressure so I thought I would test it in the driveway some. The clutch would not engage at all. I talked to my neighbor and he is thinking that the master might have been week, then pumping air through it trying to bleed the slave finally whipped it out. We both thought it sounded kind of of as it will not engage, we both thought it would not disengage if it was bad. What do you guys think? The master cylinder is the only part I didn't replace, and I know everything is put together correctly.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

What do you mean the clutch would not engage? That means when you put it in gear and let off the pedal the truck is standing still. If you meant its not disengaging try bleeding the system again as it still sounds you have allot of air in the system. If the pedal is only getting hard half way down its not enough.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

You've got to bleed the system a lot. Sometimes you get lucky but when I just did mine I bled it like 10 times. I replaced my clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder. It's always best to do the slave and master at the same time to avoid any issues
Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I am embarrassed to admit why it was not engaging. The 4x4 shifter was in neutral. I had 3 other people help me and none of is thought to check it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Master Cylinder