Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Off road tiem nao.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk

howdy, im new here i've got a 1995 Ford f-150 xl long bed 5.0 Litre engine 4x4 whenever i stop or accelerate from a stop i hear a kind of clunk im not entirely sure what it is ive crawled around under it etc cant seem to see anything with my eyes that would cause it.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, this probably sounds ridiculous, but I had about the same problem. It also made noise going over bumps. Turns out the guy that had the truck before me dropped some screwdrivers between the bed and the cab. They were loose enough to make noise but not loose enough to fall out. That's probably not your problem, but it's still a fun story to tell. It took me about a month to figure out that's what my problem was
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Off road tiem nao.

well now that you mention it i had one of the sterralite (sp?) containers full of tools in the back of my truck and was on a road trip of sorts anyway long story short i had to make a sudden stop due to some moron in a camry cutting me off the chest slid and basicly exploded fun story i guess i lost alot of tools that day lol, i had to get one of the control arm brackets replaced due to the fact it was getting a bit too much rust for my taste on it sound was present before then but not like it is now
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Also you could check to see if you have play in your driveshaft. You would definitely notice that taking off from a stop
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigGreyBox
Also you could check to see if you have play in your driveshaft. You would definitely notice that taking off from a stop
U was going to say check the U-joints

BigGreyBox, Im in Middleburg...where you hunt? good looking truck bro!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Off road tiem nao.

drive shaft seems fine no play in it the u joints in it are fairly new id say less than 10k miles on em gonna try a repack my wheel bearing give everything a new coat of grease see if that softens it up at all, couldalso be a loose or broken bolt in one of the brake assemblies i suppose..truck runs great 4x4 works great always with these mysterious problems.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGreyBox
X2..the slip yokes require a special grease..Some had to have the driveshaft replaced..
Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Off road tiem nao.

well the assembly looked good drive shaft seems good no play in it im stumped
Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm trying to think of obvious things people sometimes overlook too. What about the spare tire mount under the bed? Could also be something in the rear end. I had a ranger that would make banging and clunking noises, then one day my axle shaft started growing out of the side of my truck, the pinion gear broke off.

And thanks darknite, I live in town in arlington. So my truck doesn't see much real use, its just a big gas guzzling daily driver for the most part. I got that shotgun for the range, but I thought it'd be fitting for the picture
Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you greased the splined shaft?

Quick Reply: Clunk