Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clogged cat causing complications?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clogged cat causing complications?

This is probably a retarded question, but I've been looking here and other places on the web and can't find an example that is exactly the same as what's happening to my 1989 5.0 2wd with an auto.
The truck will sometimes throw a Check Engine Light and start running horrible. It stutters some under throttle and surges at idle before dying. The CEL only comes on when it's running poorly and then goes off.
The first time it happened I thought it was because it was really hot out (~95 degrees) and I was in stop-go traffic. Then it happened again after I got off the interstate while driving at night so I don't think that is the issue. Both times it wouldn't start back up right away, but after a little (10min or so) it would run fine.
Now it has happened 3 more times, each time sooner and worse. Now the truck is sitting at the apartment complex where I just signed a lease because it wouldn't stay running at all.
I've seen a number of things that could cause similar problems, but nothing is exactly like my problem. This only happened after I cut off the stock exhaust and semi-gutted the 2nd cat :wall bash: so I'm really hoping the cat is clogged and causing me all this stress.
Please tell me that cutting off the 2nd cat completely and putting a pipe/tip on will cure my problem!!!! #fingerscrossed

Any other ideas are welcome too, as long as they aren't expensive...lol
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Have you checked for codes? I wouldnt be suprised if you were having issues with your 02 sensor, checking for codes would give you a place to start and you can do it for free
Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

One way to tell if its clogged is to drive it hard at night for at least 15 mins or til it starts geeking out. Once you get home look under it and see if it's glowing. If so, it's clogged.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.
After my girlfriend got off work, she took me to pick up my truck and it started right up no problem and drove home just fine.
I'm heading back home for the weekend with my girl, Mother's day and all. Needless to say we are taking her car!

The check engine light only comes on when the truck is acting up, and it isn't ever at a time when I can check the code.
The reason I think the 2nd cat may be clogged is because when I was gutting it, I didn't finish....dumb I know. So there is still crap in there, is it possible that when the ceramic shifts a certain way it clogs the flow and chokes the motor, but other times it's ok?
I didn't have this problem until I tried gutting the cat so that's why I think it may be the problem.
Cutting it off is an option for me, no emissions testing here. But I don't have tools to test the vacuum or anything.
Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

The light doesn't have to be on to have a stored code....also remove the cat you messed up!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Yeah I'm hearing that the codes are stored, didn't know that...
But it is POSSIBLE that a plugged cat MAY cause the problems that I'm having?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Is it POSSIBLE you will EVER pull codes? I don't tell the doctor I think my leg is broken and then tell him I don't feel like getting an X-ray.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM

I finally got back to my truck today and pulled the codes, following your instructions Sean and cross-referencing them with OldFuelInjection.com's.
According to my phenomenal counting skills......here's what I got.

Engine off: 11 = pass!
Continuous memory: 22 = MAP/BP sensor out of self test range.
34 = PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.
Engine Running: 21 = ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.

So, that means nothing to me as far as what my problem is :/
Any ideas what's up?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Oh, something I forgot to add earlier: When I drove it home from the apartment where it died, I kept the radio off and the windows down to listen for any odd sounds. When I lifted off the the throttle, it sounded like the exhaust was gurgling.
Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM

So I didn't go pull codes again. Instead I got my head out of my ***** and took a flashlight with me under the truck and looking into the end of the cat. For those of you who don't know what a cat should look like, the top of my picture shows you. The bottom is what mine looked like after I *tried* gutting it. So now my truck is LOUD as hell but seems (fingers crossed) to be running fine.

Hopefully this solves my problems. I'll touch base after a day or two of driving to let you guys know. Thanks for everyone's help so far!
Attached Thumbnails Clogged cat causing complications?-img_0470.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clogged cat causing complications?