Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clockspring part number confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Clockspring part number confusion

So the lament like material that keeps the copper runners in my clock spring from touching each other and insulated came apart, and as a result they all touched each other. Consequently, my horn would randomly blow and it blew my air bag thermal fuse. I took it out several months ago and im missing not having my horn and cruise control. Now I can find clock springs for my truck, even genuine ford. But my confusion is the part numbers are not exactly the same. If I look it up in either google or all data, I get a required F5TA-14A664-D. The one in my truck is the same pretty much, but with MC at the end instead of D. So, F5TA-14A664-MC. My question is, does D supersede MC? D is used for both trucks with cruise, with or without antitheft. Im wondering if D was maybe originally for trucks with antitheft and cruise, and MC was without Antitheft but with cruise, but maybe the connectors are the same just with extra pinning for antitheft. So maybe they stopped making MC and only used D for manufacturing costs? Not sure. Long story short, will D work on my truck?
96 f150 5.8 xlt. cruise with no antitheft
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM

bump
Old 02-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I don't know. But for an educated guess - the clockspring feeds the horn cruise and airbag through the rotating part of the wheel. Anti theft isn't an issue, I wouldn't think. All the 96's have a horn and airbag so the variable is cruise. I'm wondering if Ford would bother making a special one for the ones with cruise and the ones without. Seems like it would be more trouble (expense) to keep track of than to just use the same one in all of them.
Anyway the F5TA just means it was made in 95 for a truck; the 14A664 means it's a clockspring; and the D or MC is the version which could refer to the later version, where or by whom it was made, there's no definitive way to decipher it.
So long story short if the guy selling it to you says D is the one you need and it isn't then you can take it back. Or you can hold out for an MC to be sure.
Either one should run your horn and airbag - cruise or not cruise is going to be the issue.
I think.
The following users liked this post:
RacerX69 (01-15-2023)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks, beat answer I've had so far. The issue is, if I buy it from Napa or oreillys it's special order, so if I need to return it I can but I have to pay shipping. I also have to pay shipping to the store. So I might as well find it online somewhere. I may call the ford dealer and see if it has been superseded, but calling them is normally a waste of time. I don't know why anti theft would make a difference either, but I just saw all data showed with and without, but cost was the same. I feel they would all be the same too, it would be cheaper to add some copper and plastic to all of them vs having to set up for another part to make. I don't know though. I will continue looking in my free time that I've been struggling to get. Just this last weekend I had some yime to replace my oil pan gasket, I think it would've been easier to pull the engine haha.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Take a good look at this picture. I identify the year of a column by that yellow jacketed wire. On a 94, there will be that, but there will also be a second set of wires outside of that going to the second plug.
On a 95, 96 (which the picture is) both sets of wires are contained in the yellow jacket.
From all the research I've done, everything is configured the same way.
Dorman only lists one of each style - for everything.
So... I think as long as it's for a 95 - 96, you're probably ok.

Quick Reply: Clockspring part number confusion