Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler, sounds like stock...HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler, sounds like stock...HELP?

First off, hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new F-150 owner, and I find that it's best to talk to people who have-em, and have worked on them when it comes to troubleshooting and what not.

So I have a 92 F-150 XLT super cab long bed, 5.8. I decided to make it a project, and remove it from its life as a beater. Recently I installed a cherry bomb extreme muffler to add some growl to the old girl.

I cut off the stock exhaust, and put the cherry bomb in it's place, about a foot from the tail pipe under the bed. clamped everything, checked for leaks, and ready to hear her growl I started her up. I was disappointed. The tone is a little bit lower, but not nearly as loud as it should be. It does not produce the sound that they are known for, and when I rev or drive, I can't hear the exhaust over the engine. The cherry bomb extreme is supposed to be loud and beautiful, producing the sound similar to old school muscle. But I get nothing.

Ive watched videos of other people results, and they are as should be, loud and beautiful..Hell, I've even heard one on a PT cruiser that would put my truck to shame. so I was wondering if theres something i'm missing. Should it be located right after the cat? I really dont want to punch my cat, and ive heard results that lead me to believe that it is not necessary. but something needs done.

The engine is the v8 5.8, stock. No aftermarket headers or anything. I know some of you have installed these, so I figured I'd ask. Any help would be awesome, Thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into the same issue when installing my flowmaster, first I tried it with the outlet of the muffler about 6" before the end of the cab. Sounded great! Then for inspection reasons I added another 12" to get it behind the cab and that alone took almost all of the throaty sound out of her. I am almost 100% positive that our old stock cats have to be clogged as hell therefor contributing to this problem. However, the extra pipe after the muffler does act as a baffle but certainly shouldn't be in such a drastic manner. Needless to say I pulled the extension off after inspection! My plans are to swap the cat to an aftermarket high-flow style along with the long tube headers I am getting next week. I KNOW this will change things and may be able to extend the outlet side again into a dump. All that being said, I'd blame the cat!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
DSBP F-150

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

What tips you have? If stock try upgrading the tips to a larger and longer diameter. Try 3.5" dia x 12" long tips. Thats where some of your sound comes from. Just form personal experience.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Burn out muflers

My truck doesn't have cats but when we installed the chery bombs a few years ago we ran duals out the back and it wasn't loud at all. It took a few weeks before it started to get a good sound. I was told that people used to burn out the mufflers before they isntalled them if they wanted them loud right away. Might not be true, but that is what my neighbor has on his truck and it has a good sound. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Borla S-Type straight through muffler on my Bronco with a 5.8L and it sounded amazing. A bit loud.

Ditch the cherry bomb for a magnaflow, borla, or something else. Long glass pack style mufflers aren't a good choice. Get something shorter, and straight through. Non louvered.

Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler, sounds like stock...HELP?