Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Charcoal can. full of gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charcoal can. full of gas

my friend has a 1994 f150 4x4 5.0l (recently rebuilt) 190,000 miles on the truck and he has this problem with the charcoal canister filling up with gas, his mechanic said it should only be fumes so his mechanic disabled it and plugged the rubber hose and the gas is still leaking out of the plugged hose. any1 know wut the problem might be? he has had the problem before when his dad owned the truck but then it stopped leaking after a while.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 tanks? 1 of them have a dead fuel pump? Cross-filling could be the issue...

Quicker/easier/cheaper place to check would be the filler cap - if the gas cap gets gummed up over time, it won't vent the tank like it's supposed to.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM

2 tanks. ill tell him to check the gas cap. his mechanic just told him to drill a hole in the gas cap.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't drill a hole in the cap, you will not pass a smog check. Agree with Alliens about the cross filling posibility. Although with all of those complaints, don't remember anyony with fuel in cannister.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two '96 Fords - one with a 4.9 and the other - a 5.0. Both have dual fuel tanks. A while back the 4.9 would stall on me every now and then. When I would get gas the front tank was overpressurized and gas would fly out of the filler. The charcoal canister was also filled with fuel. I checked with a mechanic and we traced it to the fuel pumps. Problem is though that they are located in the tanks. You need to drop the tanks to get to them. You also could remove the bed and the pumps are right there on top of the tanks. Kind of a pain to do but that's what I did. Fixed the problem. I can almost be positive that your one of your pumps are bad. Is your tank overpressurized?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing to add - originally I thought that the fuel selector switch was bad causing the rear tank to pump into the front causing it to overpressurize but that was fine - it was in the pump. Apparently early to mid '90 fords had this problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah... there were recalls, and I've suffered through a lot of learning on this deal. Mine didn't overflow the canister, but it sure would spew out past the filler cap! Caused all sorts of fuel pressure issues and was the most frustration I've encountered since trying to figure out the EGR system...

There's a check valve on the fuel return line in the fuel pump assembly in each tank. Like previously mentioned, the only way to correct is to replace the fuel pump in the tank that's affected, or remove the whole tank and cap the lines off (that's what I did). I rebuilt the entire rear tank (tank, pump, sender, wiring, cap, etc.) and removed the front one completely.

Seems like someone on here had the same issue due to a gummed up filler cap, so maybe try the cheap route first. Does one of the tanks not work at this point, or do both tanks work? Is there only one that is getting pressurized?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 AM

well both tanks work and we live in green bay wisconsin, i think he could drill a hole in the gas cap. he did replcae both tanks 2 years ago but did not replace the pumps. their was a line that ran inbetween the tanks that did rust and he got that replaced.

Quick Reply: Charcoal can. full of gas