Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

cd player?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I ♥ Ford Trucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cd player?

i might put a stock cd plaer in my truck
however they use those pins to remove, my radio goes in with screws so how could i make it work?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has to be a way... have you checked to see if there's a mounting kit needed for it? Maybe try an aftermarket CD unit that you can get a kit for?

I'm probably the last guy to ask - I took my radio out to mount a cup holder in it's place. (The 91 and older trucks didn't have a cup holder unless you got the bucket seats/console, and I can't stand to drive with the radio on anyway)

...yeah, I'm getting old before my time!

Last edited by aliens8mycow; 02-08-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what you mean by the "pins" to remove and your radio installed with "screws". But I put an aftermarket cd payer in my '89 where there was a big hole and the wires cut. I bought a reverse harness, wiring harness, and installation kit to install my radio. The reverse harness was the toughest to connect becasue the wiring of this year and probably others, do not follow the Electrical Wiring Standard colors. But once it is figured out, connect the wirng harness to the aftermarket radio and it is a matter of plugging the two together. The installation kit has a bunch of faces and brackets that you will have to manipulate to match your radio and then it is simply a matter of putting radio into the hole. It isn't a perfect professional job, but it works for me, becasue whoever had the truck before me totally destroyed the radio port. I will post a few pics and mabe you should so we can see what you see. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you're talking about is that the existing radio in your truck is installed with screws and that you're looking to replace your radio with a Ford CD player that uses pins. If this is the case, get ready for a headache. The pinned CD player you mentioned is an install system that mates with a receiver cage specific to that equipment.

So, if you're still looking for the factory CD player, make sure it comes with the mounting cage....then you have to figure out how to make the later model equipment mesh with your earlier model wiring harness; a feat that becomes much harder if the cd player is from a vehicle that had a premium system (sometimes those have intricate amplifier and/or signal splitting systems).

In the end, it's definitely possible. Just a matter of figuring out where the power goes and if the signal from the unit is strong (loud) enough to drive your speakers. Without the mounting cage, some well placed pop-rivets can help. I would suggest either:

1) Using a newer model CD player. Sites like crutchfield will ship you the stereo, wiring harness adapters and instructions for removal and install for free (other stuff, not the stereo). Stores like wal mart or pep boys also sell ridiculously cheap cd players without instructions as well.

2) Stereo equipment that works using an FM modulator. They're all over the place for ipods (plug in the iPod, tune radio to 89.5 or whatever channel you select, make sure you're still on the road, press play, check the road again) and they make CD players/changers that work the same way. This would keep your factory look and wiring harness in place.

Aliens, I hear you about the cup holders...I used wood screws to mount mine to the dash. My own little touch of class.

Last edited by bjafeman; 02-09-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Most vehicles don't follow the electrical wiring standard colors. When the plug has been cut out I just find the keyed power, the full time power and the ground. Then I have to check the speakers to see what color wires are ran to them. Now some Fords use a common speaker ground, which won't work with aftermarket radios. I have found that if you follow the harness back there's another plug that has normal speaker wiring and the added harness after it combines the ground. Removing the added harness will allow you to use the adapter plug that you wire to the aftermarket radio, and that plug has the wires marked. This goes for regular or premium sound factory radios too, remove the added harness for premium sound or leave it for the cheap radio. If your truck wasn't intended to receive the pin type radio then it will be tough to make it fit. The radio installation kit wouldn't work in my truck ('87), the trim surround wouldn't allow it. I mounted the radio to the trim surround.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cd player?