Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Carb or EFI 4.9L

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carb or EFI 4.9L

Just wondering what you all thought was the "better" 4.9L. Ones with Carbs or the later Fuel Injected ones. Also which of the two is easier to work on?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Not aware of any quirks between EFI and carbs on the 4.9L specifically - but the given the simple choice between EFI and carb - I would vote for EFI!

The diagnostics are much better, and the early to mid 80s carbs tended to get complex with all the gizmos added to meet emissions standards. I guess one option is to de-gizmo-ize - eh, but I digress.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 PM
sel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carb is simple and cheaper....no wiring and tune with a screw driver
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

The carbed inline sixes are not as good as the EFI ones. The reason being is that the intake runners on the carbed suck more fuel and air to the middle cylinders than the outside ones. Basically more fuel and air goes to the middle cylinders making it less efficient.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most people know that I'm an old school mechanic, but any one who chooses a carburator over fuel injection is dumber than a box of rocks. Sorry for stepping on toes. Granted there are hurdles to overcome when diagnosing, but the boundaries that are acheived is awesome. Troubleshooting, no guessing, is alot cheaper with a carb. and that is all. Mother, get me a nito pill. I'm out of here.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
sel

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Most people know that I'm an old school mechanic, but any one who chooses a carburator over fuel injection is dumber than a box of rocks. Sorry for stepping on toes. Granted there are hurdles to overcome when diagnosing, but the boundaries that are acheived is awesome. Troubleshooting, no guessing, is alot cheaper with a carb. and that is all. Mother, get me a nito pill. I'm out of here.
suck me **** ya douche...there are advantages on both sides ya ****...u can get more power cheaper outta carb then fuel enjection cause its cheaper to rejet then it is to up grade a fuel system and a fuel enjection system is much more expensive so unless your gonna do alot of vertical climbing constantly or you want that extra 1mile pergallon then carbs more economical and possibly practical...fuel injection is nice but not always worth the extra money

Quick Reply: Carb or EFI 4.9L