Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

cant open door need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant open door need help

I have a 1993 lightning, and I cant get the passenger door open. I tried using the key, from the inside and the power lock. I think it needs a new accuator but I cant get to it because the door wont open. Is there any way to open it?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Default more data, please

More info is needed to properly diagnose. When you activate the power locks, do you hear any sound, indicating that the motor is working? Is there any discernible movement of the lock button on the top of the door panel? You should be able to open the door from the inside with the handle - even if the door is locked - unless there is an issue with the handle mechanism or cable.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

The motor works, when I pull the inside handle the lock button moves up some, it also does it when I push unlock. It worked a few years ago butt then it sat for about 4-5 years and now doesnt work.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Unlocking the past...

Realizing that you may destroy it in the process, you might try to grab the lock button with a pliers so that you can pull up on it in order to disengage the lock. A replacement button is readily available, but do take special care of your Lightning door panels: They would be very difficult to replace. You also mention that the truck "sat for about 4-5 years" so there may be some rust/corrosion at work. If there is any way to get a spray rust penetrant via a straw into the lock mechanicals try to do so.

If you can roll the window down you may gain a better view & access to the mechanisms in the door. Hang in there! It's all worth the effort.

dn.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM

I took off the button and tried pulling the rod, but it broke off inside the door. I sprayed some kroil but I cant tell if it went where I need it.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM

I finally got it open, I dont really know how I just pushed the button and kept pulling. Now I dont really know what to do. When you turn the key it doesnt seem like it goes all the way, should I take out the lock?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The power lock acutator is seized, preventing the door from opening. You don't even have to remove it, just unhook it from the door latch mechanism inside the door.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Default open sesame...

Disconnecting the power lock motor (assuming it is frozen/rusted/seized) should allow otherwise normal operation of the door & manual locking/unlocking. If, however, you want to keep your power lock feature a new actuator can be purchased from any number of sources, including your local dealer. A word from one who has done this procedure several times: It requires great manual dexterity and patience.

dn.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM

I disconnected what I think is the motor (bottom rear corner) and thats not it. Its still hard to open. And when I hit the button you hear it working.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The function of the door latch mechanism is to open the door from the inside or outside lever. The lock mechanism is to unlock or lock from the button or the electric actuator. You need to seperate the two functions. Do this and get back to us. You are there and we are here.

Quick Reply: cant open door need help