Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Can rims ment for a tube tire fit a tubeless tire??

Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can rims ment for a tube tire fit a tubeless tire??

I work at a junk yard and I see random parts from old Fords that I like and I use it for my truck. I'm building a Frankenstein truck. I found a set of stock 69 ford 16" rims with the small hub caps witch I have never seen before, and trust me I see alot. They have tube tires on them that are junk, but I can find I nice pair of 31 e rated tires for them but there probably going to be tubeless. My only concern is... Will it work?? Or do I need tube tires, if thats the case I don't want em
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

There probably a 2 piece wheel or split rim as some people call them.
If they are stay away from them! I have heard of them coming apart with pressure in them and hurting people.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 7700 in Alberta
There probably a 2 piece wheel or split rim as some people call them.
If they are stay away from them! I have heard of them coming apart with pressure in them and hurting people.
that and the DOT and most other non 3rd world countrys have out lawed them due to that fact and they tend to fall apart while driving

the only issue i see would be the lip where the bead would seat its self the non tube tires need a solid seal or its going t leak like a screen door on a sub LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
that and the DOT and most other non 3rd world countrys have out lawed them due to that fact and they tend to fall apart while driving

the only issue i see would be the lip where the bead would seat its self the non tube tires need a solid seal or its going t leak like a screen door on a sub LOL
I know all about split rims and no they are not split rims haha. I have thought about it making a seal or not. I should make a seal, thats not my concern. Will I be able to fit a valve stem in them? And the thickness of the steal and what pressure can it take
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Snicklfritz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi they make valve stems that fit tubed rims seen it alot while i worked at a tire shop i am wondering if they are the 16.5's though. they have a slanted bead have not seen alot of old rims that were just 16's most are a 16.5. the only place you have to check for a leak is where the backing plate where your lug nuts go through, where it meets the part of rim where your tires sit older ones that use tubes tend to be riveted not welded it might leak but these are riveted and dont leak

Last edited by Snicklfritz; 11-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Snicklfritz
hi they make valve stems that fit tubed rims seen it alot while i worked at a tire shop i am wondering if they are the 16.5's though. they have a slanted bead have not seen alot of old rims that were just 16's most are a 16.5. the only place you have to check for a leak is where the backing plate where your lug nuts go through, where it meets the part of rim where your tires sit older ones that use tubes tend to be riveted not welded it might leak but these are riveted and dont leak
Thanks man! Great advice I'll check into that. And yea there just 16's I have never seen that before and they were ford stock rims

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can rims ment for a tube tire fit a tubeless tire??