Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cadillac Horns

Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cadillac Horns

Alright so I recently found out that old Cadillac horns sound like a train horn. I did some research and there are 4 separate horns that blow 4 different notes A,C,D, and F. I originally wanted to wire them to a switch so I could use them when I wanted and still keep my stock horn. But now I was wondering if I could wire an inline toggle switch between my stock horn and the cady horns. So I could choose which one I wanted to use. And I would of course need two relays inline. My question is how would I wire that up. I have a general idea of how to wire to my stock horn but not with the switch and all.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Bump
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Maybe to many trucks?

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

What you would have to do is wire the horn button to a toggle switch. Off one pole of the toggle switch it would go to your stock horns. Off the other pole you would go to the horns you want. You would then wire it from your horns (both) to your battery with a relay along the line. Then all you do is flip the switch one way and you got stock horns flip it the other way you got your other horns.
Trav
Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 AM

Ok that sounds simple enough but how do I know which pole to use and which wire to cut into. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my horn doesn't work with my horn button it works with the on button for the cruise and of my cruise doesn't work. What happened was the horn went out a while ago cause it got wet or somethin. So I got some horns from the junkyard to replace them with and they sounded horrible so I tried the stock again didn't work, blown fuse then the relay by the glove box started clicking replaced it and now it works through my on button for my cruise I think it has somethin to do with the 3 rings down in the column. Could you draw a diagram of how that would work if you don't mind.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Maybe to many trucks?

The pole will be the metal deal that comes off the switch. One will be on top that is for your switch up and one will be on the bottom for your switch down.

I couldn't tell you why it would do that unless somebody put in the wires for the horn the wrong way and hooked it up to cruise control.

Is this the truck in your username? 80-91 colums are fairly simple so I don't see how it would do that or how somebody could hook up the wires wrong.

Unfortunately I am a terrible wiring diagram drawer and you would not be able to understand it with my capabilities. Really wish I could draw you one.
Trav
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Yeah my truck is the one in my username. I don't think the wires are in wrong it used to work off the horn button but then the thing I mentioned in an earlier post happened. I would have already fixed it but I have to pull the wheel to do it and its my daily so time is an issue. I think I have a good I idea of how to wire it now but the only thing I'm still fuzzy on is the relays how would I wire two of those inline?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Maybe to many trucks?

You would take two lines off the horn button to a switch. One pole has a relay from their to the stock horns. The other pole has a relay from their to the other horns. You wouldn't have any inline. The power is already supplied from the battery to the horn button also so no worries about that.

This is only going off of how I would think I would wire it I have never done it before so I can't say this 100% will work but I can't think of any reasons it wouldn't.
Trav
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by redneckfordf2502002
[You would take two lines off the horn button to a switch]. [One pole has a relay from their to the stock horns. The other pole has a relay from their to the other horns.] You wouldn't have any inline. The power is already supplied from the battery to the horn button also so no worries about that.

This is only going off of how I would think I would wire it I have never done it before so I can't say this 100% will work but I can't think of any reasons it wouldn't.
Trav
Thanks again for the help, when you say two line do you mean tap into two wires with two wires or tap into one wire with two wires. And what do you mean [One pole has a relay from their to the stock horns. The other pole has a relay from their to the other horns.] I'm sorry I'm just trying to be cautious and I don't know wiring very well. I saw this the other day and didn't know if it could be made to work with a switch that's why I posted here:http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...ote-horns.html
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Maybe to many trucks?

All you need to do is bring the wire from your stock horn button to a switch.

After that you take the wire off one of those tabs (which I have been calling poles) to the stock horns.

You take wire off another switch tab to the aftermarket horns.

Somewhere in between the horns and those tabs you put a relay on both lines.
I would also put a fuse that is easy to get to in their to.

You already have power from your battery to the stock horn button so don't worry about getting power.

Once everything is hooked up with a good solder and some heatshrink (I recommend it) call it good and try out your horn on one position of the switch. Then flip the switch the other way and hit the horn button. One way should blow the aftermarket horns and the other should do the stock horns.
Trav
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 PM

Ok thank you that's make much more sense. Thank you for basically dumbing it down for me. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Can I buy a relay harness and a inline fuse harness, if so where would I get them and how would I wire the harnesses inline? I think that's all my questions for now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cadillac Horns