Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

A/C Compressor squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Compressor squeeking

My A/C compressor on my 88 5.0 is squeeking pretty badly. Temporary relief comes from oiling between the clutch and the pulley.Also, I just changed the serpinetine belt and shortly after that the noise began after about 250 miles. Is this a sign the compressor is beginning to fail? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
A_G

well i got a few questions.
Does your ac currently work?
If so does it blow cold, or kinda cool?

From my personal expirence your bearing is going out in the compressor. While a cheap part its just easier to buy a new compressor. Or a bypass pulley

What will happen eventually is the bearing will eventually cuase the clutch to lock or itself will lock. And your serp. belt will break. Happen to me about 2 months ago on a 97 4.6l while i was on my way to work. took me 3 hours to go 30 miles. due to, drive, shut it down. not only do you lose power steering. but you also loose alt. and water pump.

for my particular truck the compressor was 109 bucks. but when you change that out its a good idea to change some related componets. Orfice and a couple other things.

so i went the cheap way and bought a bypass pulley for 39 bucks. The truck was a little more peppy after that. But i was ,lucky as the system was completly dry. as in no evac required.
What happened is, my fiance' got hot and turned on the ac after me telling her it doesnt work. Well just my luck it was cold that time. But after shutting off the truck and restarting it wasnt. and i didnt know it was running. Go down the road and had burnt it up. Then a week later it siezed.

But hey this is just my personal expierence, opinon, and 2 cents.

have a good-in
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM

The compressor works, but I would say it's more on the kinda cool side...not cold...and the system is charged fully. Is changing the bearing a PIA? The compressors I've priced are about 275.00 so a cheeper fix would be better for me. Would changing the bearing make any difference on the temp of the A/C?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kugrad89
The compressor works, but I would say it's more on the kinda cool side...not cold...and the system is charged fully. Is changing the bearing a PIA? The compressors I've priced are about 275.00 so a cheeper fix would be better for me. Would changing the bearing make any difference on the temp of the A/C?
I don't know if replacing the compressor is a PIA or not, I have never done that myself. But it seems like it could be more trouble than it is worth.

Try rockauto.com,
I saved almost $200 on a fuel pump for a 1993 Dakota 3.9V6.
and I got the part in less than 5 days.

Just open the page, start the catalog viewer
and find what you need.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
I saw remanufactured compressors for a 1988 5.0 starting at $175 and new compressors starting at $213.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info...that's a great site I didn't know about
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kugrad89
Thanks for the info...that's a great site I didn't know about
You're welcome!

I found it while I was searching for a replacement
fuel pump for a 93 Dakota I had. Comes in pretty
handy at times.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM
A_G

on my 96 5.0 it doesnt look that hard since the compressor is on the top right of the motor. The truck i was tlaking about was on the bottom left... PITA

since its charged in order for you to do it yourself youve gotta have it EVAC (they take all the gas out) the shop i used to work for it was79.99 for evac.
then recharge was 79.99 per lb of gas (a school bus with two compressors takes about 3 lbs a compressor, a normal car will be 1-2.5 lbs max)

yea you can do it yourself providing the right tools. like for instance your serp. belt. is easy with right tools. Without. it sucks.

While your belts off chekc it for cracks and rot. If either is present. Just replace your belt. while its off..

hope this helps,
Anthony

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor squeeking