Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Build/Rebuild 302/5.0 Roller 94 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Ford 4 Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build/Rebuild 302/5.0 Roller 94 F150 4x4

I plan to do a Head Gasket & Valve Job on my 94 F150 4x4 XLT Offroad to last me untill I build a new one.

My current 302 has over 300,000 miles, and is leaking coolant from the front drivers side near the water pump. I'm not positive, but appears to be the head gasket. I have oil in my coolant (coolant is brown and foamy or rusty), and coolant in my oil I assume due the dip stick rusting in half.

Link to Album & Specs | https://www.f150forum.com/g/album/1496112

I will be referencing this thread by qdeezie for my build, as it has been the best information for what I plan to do.
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bit-in...l-302s-276512/

---------------------------------------------------------------

Today I went to the salvage (U Pull) to get the only 302 Roller I can find from a 94 Bronco.
This place was ignorant.
I spent 3 hours this morning hooking up my trailer and loading all the stuff I needed to pull the 302, and also to get a load of Jeep Grand Cherokee body parts. Hood, Fender etc..
I took my Generator, Air Compressor, Cherry Picker, Engine Stand, Jacks, about 100 pounds of tools.

I get there and they hand me a wheelbarrow,
I said: I have a truck and trailer.
They Said: "NOPE" all get is a wheelbarrow you cant take any thing back there.
I said, I need an engine,
they said: You have to pull it yourself by hand.
I said: How do I pull 1000 pound engine with my bare hands?
They said: we don't pull them for you.
at this point I am so confused. After paying admission, and hanging around for 3 hours, I figure out they have an A-Frame and a fork lift.
but how do I get it to the truck to pull the engine.
it was Friday, I'll never try that again.
They whole day was shot to hell. I will go back Monday and try again.

Things are not the same as they used to be, I used to go to a salvage and have fun, just drive right up to a vehicle and the spend the day. Now it's like a walmert correctional facility or some type of crap. they dig through my stuff, and pat me down.

Here's some pictures of the engine, the place is a disaster, and mud everywhere. It looks like someone pulled the engine and put it back.
Maybe the engine is blown, maybe the block is cracked I don't know.

Not sure what to do, except pull the engine and check it out, drop it back in if it doesn't look right

The left back pull loop is gone, maybe broke off, the other is loose and wiggly. with all the mud I cant see even see the bolt heads.

Maybe this was a mud truck, and the engine is toast.

Anyone have any suggestions.
thanks to all...

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage

94 Bronco 302 at Salvage
Old 02-25-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Possible flood vehicle or not . I'd pass there has to be better somewhere .
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Yeah thats BS.

Most pick and pull yards near me pull the engines worth selling and keep them on a "shelf." If it is still in the truck it is basically for parts only, and they know it.

I'd say find another engine for sure - and another yard if you can.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Ford 4 Life

Thanks for the input guys. It's really appreciated.

I was thinking this Bronco looks pretty hammered, and the transmission is gone.
it looks like it was stuck in a pond. I bet it was a mud truck, and the engine was submersed and cracked block. That would explain why someone pulled it, and dropped back in. the broken stock pull loops are enough for me I think.

I guess I'm on the lookout for another one.
Hard to find around here.

What else would have a direct swap 5.0 H.O. ?
Maybe some year explorer, or mustang.
I'm not opposed to changing some things if I need to.
especially if it makes for a better or more powerful engine.

This place has several hundred or maybe thousand of ford vehicles.
any engine is $199 with a $75 core, so $275 for any engine complete.
30 day warranty for exchange or credit only. NO REFUNDS.
all these cars, or most have the engines. they just bring them in with a fork lift, and place them on rims for jack stands. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the back row of fords.

I know I was pissed, but I plan to go back with a fresh attitude, and give it a second chance. I called and got some more info. Turns out I can take anything but (Jack) or (Torch) that includes cranes, etc... So I CAN take my Air Compressor, Generator, Cut Off Wheel, etc... And they have an overhead A-Frame puller on big rubber tires.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Not sure your location but I have found car-part.com to be an invaluable resource in finding stuff "local" to me.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I know 275 sounds like a good deal for an engine, but usually there's a good reason why trucks are in the wrecking yard.
A lot of work to install a motor and if it's junk, you'll have to pull it back out, take it back and get another motor which could be just as bad.
There must be somebody selling a low mileage 302 for a decent price. Even if it's a car motor, the only main difference is the cam - truck needs a low end torque cam.
Actually the only real difference between an HO 302 and a non HO is the cam; even as far back as 87, the 302's were roller cam compatible.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Ford 4 Life

Thanks guys, I'm going to keep looking. An older 302 will require some changes. Distributer gear, lifter guides, push rods, cam, etc.. I will go that route if I have too.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Ford 4 Life

I found a 96 explorer with a 5.0 would that be compatible, I heard that this one has GT40 heads. It looked clean. but I need to find out why it's there. like you said above may be blown. which ok as long as the block, heads, internals are good.

The intake looks totally different then mine, I didn't have my phone on me to take pics,
But I will be there again tomorrow or the next day.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:38 AM
Ford 4 Life

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Not sure your location but I have found car-part.com to be an invaluable resource in finding stuff "local" to me.
I checked out the site, and found a core 17 miles from me.
I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what it is. No Price.
Thanks for the link, it is a great site.