Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

brake lines + rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lines + rust

How rust prone are the rear brake lines on our trucks? I have some real rusty rear brake lines that I'm thinking about replacing. The two on the differential seem to be of another material cause they are black and rust free. The main down the frame channel is rusted to hell. Should I just let it be or dive in?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The ones on the axle are black and rust free because someone has changed them already. I would go ahead and change the one on the frame before it bursts. Although I'm in Florida where there is no need for road salt the truck came from the north and I lost my rear brakes due to the rusty line busting. This happened while I was having front brake trouble so I ended up hitting a pole.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Yeah, that's the way I was leaning. I wish I could post a decent pic of my trans cross member its rusting in a rather strange way. Its rusting away in layers like paper. My floors are perfect,its the multiple cross members that have sustained the most rust damage, and my cab corners.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm probably going to start the line from the master the whole line is complete rust.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
We'd do it

Remove the line, then take a piece of string and run it down the length of the line. Then measure the string and that will tell you how long the line needs to be. Then buy the appropriate lengths of line from the parts store and however many couplers you need to link them together. Start at the rear of the truck and work forward. Any excess length in the line can be coiled up under the master cylinder like many vehicles have.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 PM

I see that I have a valve in the line with a bleeder and a electrical connection, Is this some sort of abs device? I think I will go right around it. I guess the coils of brake line are for the flex in the master/ firewall. I always wondered why they coil the line? I always graft on a few feet back from the master, not in this situation though.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you need to change them, a guy down the road had it happen to him when he was driving it, went to stop but no stop, well i cant say that the car in front of him stopped him, but his rusted out right where the clips hold it to the frame, i check mine everytime i crawl under the truck just for good measure
Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 PM

on my 93, it rusted out towards the rear.. right before it goes into the rear flexible brake hose. seems to be a problem with older vehicles to a certain degree.

it has a connector right under the cab close to where the fuel filter is located. it took a 60" piece of 3/16" line and a 30" coupled together to fix.

that took care of the really rusty stuff. those plastic clips holding it to the frame as mentioned in a earlier post really holds the crud and speeds up the corrosion.

the rest of lines i wouldn't be to concerned about unless there is visable signs of severe rust. they should outlast the vehicle.

yeah, brakes are a nice option to have...lol
Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 PM
We'd do it

Originally Posted by ford fan
I see that I have a valve in the line with a bleeder and a electrical connection, Is this some sort of abs device? I think I will go right around it. I guess the coils of brake line are for the flex in the master/ firewall. I always wondered why they coil the line? I always graft on a few feet back from the master, not in this situation though.
Yes, that's the ABS module. If you bypass it then you may have to remove the ABS light bulb in the dash because it may stay on.

Quick Reply: brake lines + rust