Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Brake Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line Replacement

Yet another project to tackle....I noticed today that one of my brake lines going to the rear brakes is leaking, must have looked at it wrong when I changed my fuel filter. The lines are severely rusted, so it makes sense I suppose. I was just wondering if anyone has tackled this, and could possibly tell me the length(s) I'm gonna need to do the job. It's the hard line that goes inside the frame rail, there are two, I may want to replace both at the same time. I just don't know if there are junctions that need to be replaced as well, or if special fittings will be required (like when I replaced the line from the rear wheel cylinder to the junction in back). Any help would be greatly appreciated! My truck is a '93, I6, dual tanks.

Last edited by jcgonzal; 01-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this helps much, but the parts store should carry the exact line if it is a specialty line that must be bent a certain way. Otherwise it may be best to simply bring the line in that way you don't get the wrong size. ALso just in case the part is generic and the line comes as a straight peice that you must bend yourself.Usually nothing more than a 8mm-10mm wrench to take them off. But I haven't done mine just yet and I have a '89.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you live up there in the snow and if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time i'd buy some stainless line and a tubing bender and make the tubing yourself. just use the stock line as your guide when bending. i believe you can use the loan-a-tool program for the flaring tool.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM

yeah, i'm pretty confident they won't have a custom line for that section, because it appears to be straight for the most part. when i replaced the line from the rear T-fitting to the left wheel cylinder, i just bought a generic line and bent to fit, because no one sold a custom fit line, and it's fairly simple to do that way, except the generic fitting on the one end was a different thread than goes into the T so an adapter was needed. i plan to go the generic route again, but was curious about lengths and if any adapters are needed, since this is my only vehicle and didn't wanna hassle anyone for a ride to the auto parts store if not necessary.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It would be easiest if you had a ride. I've done brake lines on several of my vehicles, the ones I brought down from up north. If you pull the line you can run a piece of string along it and measure the string for the length. I think the longest lines available at the parts store is 60". If it's longer than that, which it probably is, then you will need couplers. You shouldn't need adapters and shouldn't have had to use one the other time you replaced a line. The lines come SAE and metric, get the appropriate one. I think they were SAE but bring the threads from one line to make sure. AutoZone has the proper double flare end type while Advance has the bubble flare type. I'm not sure what parts stores you have around you. While I've used a tubing bender I have found it isn't necessary for this small diameter tube and easier without it, unless you're making a tight bend.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 AM

thanks sean, i knew you'd chime in. yeah i'll just find a ride, and i'm not sure why i needed an adapter last time...it's just that the brake line had the same fitting on both end, one did fit in the wheel cylinder, while the other end was too small and needed a larger adapter to fit into the t-fitting. thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake Line Replacement