Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Blown head gasket or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket or worse?

I am not sure whats going on. This truck (1995 f150 with the I6) started to overheat...I got home and popped the hood and now there is rust all over the engine bay. I am not sure where its coming from as the radiator hose is covered...the water pump is covered...everything. I put a new water pump on it a few years ago. When I would take a turn the oil pressure would drop...then shoot back up when I straightened out. I was told it could be a head gasket or the water pump is out. I took it to a radiator shop and They flushed it...didn't fix it. He said it was stopped up pretty bad. The guy did some dye test and the dye turned a certain color and he thinks the top end is cracked or the gasket is blown. he just does radiators so I don't think he was trying to scam me. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to change the gasket if that's it? Any other suggestions? Possible temp fix until I save some cash to fix it properly? thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 PM

you could try a can or radiator seal all a friend of mind put some in his taurus to stop a leaking head gasket seemed to work i wouldn't depend on it to last but it might tie you over till you get the cash
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stuff clogs everything more than it seals, i would just try to fix it.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM

not this stuff i donno it worked good on his car didn't clog anything. it doesn't seal unless it hits air so you just top your rad or let it cycle if it goes down fill it again until it wont take anymore get your engine to op temp put this stuff in drive around for 1/2 hour then shut off and let cool i
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with Dixie - there's no such thing as a quick fix. You'll end up with more to fix later.

Looks to me like you've got coolant (nasty old rusted coolant) blowing all over the place from somewhere. I'd let it idle until warm and watch until you see coolant leak or spray from somewhere. Might give a hint as to what is going on.

If it was a head gasket, you probably wouldn't have your engine bay covered in crap. A compression check on each cylinder could give some hints on that.

I would look into the cooling system - clogged radiator, bad water pump, stuck thermostat, old hoses, etc.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Get a Haynes or Chiltons manual for step by step instructions for changing the gasket. Plan on changing the head too. The I6 has a nasty habit of cracking the head when they overheat. Do the compression check first, and note the color of the spark plugs. The cylinder(s) with the bad gasket will have either very clean plugs or white powdery deposits on them.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

sorry guys but i would have too disagree with everyone except ham-bone, Bars leak does work. it is the only head gasket repair i have ever seen that does work. It has 16 steps too it and they all have too be followed too detail but this stuff definitely works. bars leak head gasket repair. liquid ceramic that fills and hardens in any cracks in the block OR head gasket. I have a friend with an old 93 honda civic that had a blown head gasket, used bars leak and the car is still running fine 2 years later. You should also buy a good coolant flush and you have too make sure there is no coolant left in the motor ie. freeze plugs. good luck i hope the best for the toughest motor i have ever seen I6
Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
American Pride!!

You've got to find where the leaks coming from before you start diagnosing it. Fill it up with water and then crank it up and see where the geyser is coming from. It might just be a split hose or a rusted out fitting. I'm with Alien, if all that rusty water is on top its probably not a headgasket. And that stop leak crap is just a temporary fix that can possily cause a permanent problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the looks of the picture and the spread of the rusty water it looks like a stream of water is hitting the fan and then spraying under the hood. This could be from leaking hoses or from a rusted hard line or broken radiator. You need to fill it and run to find the exact leak. Looking at the pictures I find it hard to believe that the hoses have been changed from the spring clamps holding the heater and radiator hose in place.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket or worse?