Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

A bit of info on a 96 gauge cluster swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of info on a 96 gauge cluster swap.

I bought a 96 f150 4x4 xlt 5.0 auto last night. I got some new tires for the one tonight and plan on searching for a new cluster tomorrow.
It is a pile of a wood truck right now that I will make pretty.

It has just turned over 200k.
Problems wrong with the cluster are;

The typical jumping speedo throughout the speed range.

Fuel gauge shows "E" no matter the tank selected.

Heat works(C-H only)

Oil works(vage)

Volts work.

No tach

The thing starts hard when cold it does not feel like it is shifting hard though. I believe it may be fuel related. I want to install a working cluster so that question is out and potentially solve the fuel gauge in the process. From there I will replace sensors and tune this up.

So, the 96 is a Obd2 system and that means my options are limited in replacement to a 96 and later. I might find a 95 obd 2 but I doubt it.

I know where there is a gas 97 xlt being parted out. I only have pictures at this point.But, that would let me know that the thing is working proper before vs one out of a yard. Does it matter if it is 4wd or auto?

I did lots of searching and it is back and forth on if a 97 will be a plug and play with a 96 or not.

Tach wise I would rather use a aftermarket 4 digit panel one. I am not a fan of analog tachs.

Calling around tomorrow to try and find one. Knowing what I am looking for would be a good start kind of deal.

Thank you for any help.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The PSOM's can be switched out between any of the years 92 - 96 (7?).
They use the same gauges (gas - deisel has a different tach and fuel gauge) and it would seem, the same just about everything. What makes the big differences is the plastic sheet with the printed circuit on the back - from what I can tell. I've got 6 of them here and that's the only difference I've been able to find. So far, anyway.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:55 AM

I went on the hunt and was able to find a 97 complete cluster. After installing new hinges on my door that would not close due to a bad "fixed" lower hinge and then swapping in some like new rear tires moving one of the rear ones to replace a slow leaking one on the front it was about to rain.

I will swap in the gauge cluster during the week. The mileage on the side of the yard truck was 186 and mine is at 200. The 5.0 under the hood along with the transmission will get rebuilt/replaced within 20k so I am not that concerned about the mileage difference if it even registers.

I forgot how nice it is to go to a yard and have a pick of a dozen trucks to pull from.

Once the 97 cluster is in I will report back if I have any issues with it. The truck needs a complete tune up, all the filters and fluids changed, and new tank straps on the front tank so I can replace the rusted filler neck that now drips a bit when you fill it up and basically every body part replaced and painted. 4wd works great at least.

Little bit at a time I will bring this thing back.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're gas guage is is probably not the problem, it's most likely the fuel sending unit in the tank. Same with the Speedo. The bouncing is most likely from a bad speed sensor. It is located in top of the rear diff. It may just need cleaned. Mine bounced for a while but it slowly got better and now only does it around 80mph.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fordboy9
You're gas guage is is probably not the problem, it's most likely the fuel sending unit in the tank. Same with the Speedo. The bouncing is most likely from a bad speed sensor. It is located in top of the rear diff. It may just need cleaned. Mine bounced for a while but it slowly got better and now only does it around 80mph.
I over the next few weeks I am changing all the fluids on this replacing filters and a few sensors as I go. When I do the axles I will inspect the ring for any issues before replacing the VSS. Lots of info on the bad gauge with many doing as you said replacing/cleaning the VSS and still have gauge issues. I am covering all my bases here being very gentle on the truck in the mean time.

The current fuel tank gauge works on the rear tank. But not on the front tank. I need to drop that entire front tank because the fuel neck is rusted and drips when I fill it up. I "fixed" it with gorilla tape temporally to keep vapors from escaping. But, the entire tank needs to be dropped to fix that fill hose correctly.

I actually ran the truck out of gas right after buying it. It showed E so filled up the rear tank and was running on the front tank figuring the gauge was junk. Never owned one of these models as you can tell. My last 4wd Ford was a 77 camper. I been running other models for years ones where the selector may not switch so having dual pumps is considerably better.

I am keeping a eye out currently for someone parting one out with a replacement front tank/pump/sending unit. If I can get one and install it for under $100 one less thing to think about.

Part of me just wants to run a 30ish gallon tank in the rear. The spare stays in the bed either way. It would also make running duals easier later on. If I find a front tank then great for now I am just running on the rear.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I would doubt the 97 cluster will work as it is obd1 but worth a shot.

The best fix for bouncing speedo is to unplug the abs behind glove box. The problem is something in the cluster. My original non tach cluster works perfectly. My wrecking yard cluster with tach will bounce unless the abs is unplugged.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The PSOM's can be switched out between any of the years 92 - 96 (7?).
They use the same gauges (gas - deisel has a different tach and fuel gauge) and it would seem, the same just about everything. What makes the big differences is the plastic sheet with the printed circuit on the back - from what I can tell. I've got 6 of them here and that's the only difference I've been able to find. So far, anyway.
Airbag non airbag and there's more than just pcb on back. 92 93 interchange 94 95 interchange and 96 is alone.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Anyway... you should be able to swap the 97 speedo (PSOM) into your 96 cluster if there are issues.
92 to 97 PSOM's interchange.
Edit: 97 F250, 350, and 450 PSOM's should be the same as the 92 - 96 f150. Not at all sure about a 97 F150 - the 97 was pretty much a whole different truck in a lot of respects.

Last edited by Chris_1; 02-14-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah they interchange but clusters rarely mess up in these trucks. Jack the rearend up pull diff cover and rotate tires while inspecting the abs ring thats pressed on to ring gear.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 95SWB
Yeah they interchange but clusters rarely mess up in these trucks. Jack the rearend up pull diff cover and rotate tires while inspecting the abs ring thats pressed on to ring gear.
What do you base that on?

Quick Reply: A bit of info on a 96 gauge cluster swap.