Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Better Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Brakes

I've heard reference to people beefing up the stock brakes on their ninth-gen F150s. What does that entail? Can you just bolt on bigger rotors and calipers and that's it, or is there more to it?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Bump.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Have to watch that any new rotors / calipers won't interfere with the wheels. My stock calipers are close enough that they scrubbed off the stick-on wheel weights after a balancing. Hehehe - busted the tire shop - don't like no stinkin' stick-ons.

Not aware of any direct bolt-ons from other models. Perhaps other members can help here. Probably some custom aftermarket packages available if your bank account can stand it.

One thing I noticed through my multiple brake changes was the difference in pad area between the bargain-basement pads and the OEM-style. The bargain-basement levels don't have as much pad area, aren't as wide across the radial direction (from the wheel center outward).

Problem is, once the cheapies are used, to go back to the original spec generally requires the rotors be turned due to the wear groove. Not feeling overly ambitious with disassembling all the 4WD hub lockout stuff - I've just stayed with swapping out the cheapie pads. Not one of my prouder mechanic'ing achievements, but it'll do.

Probably on the order of 1/8 - 3/16" pad width difference, probably amounts to 5-10% or so braking difference based on pad area alone.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Hmm... Again, good info. I'll go with the OEM pads and turn the rotors if I find non-OEM on the truck (just bought it).

The reason I ask about brakes is because I intend to do a little towing, so I'd like to go with some bigger brakes if at all reasonable (the cargo-trailer I'll be towing does not have an electric-braking system).

I'd heard of people enhancing their F150 brakes; thought maybe there were direct bolt-on upgrades available, maybe from same-gen F250s or something.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Just to clarify - don't necessarily have to go back with Ford OEM pads - just get the better pads offered at the parts store. Might have them pull both sets (the cheapies and the better set) out just to compare.

Last edited by wde3477; 10-26-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: clarifying the clarification

Quick Reply: Better Brakes