Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Best leak fixing oil additive

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best leak fixing oil additive

Hey guys, I have a minor rear main seal leak and want to try an additive like blue devil to see if that'll fix it. which ones work best in yalls experience?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Never had luck with any of them. Hard to find a miracle in a bottle.. best to just look for a genie
The following users liked this post:
midnightduddie96 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Actually there are some additives that may help. Don't cheap out or you'll be wasting your money. Lucas makes good products but I don't know if they make that.
Best thing to do is make sure that your PCV system is clear and working properly. If it doesn't work, pressure builds up in the crankcase and it has to go somewhere. Number 1 cause of leaking front and rear seals.
The following users liked this post:
midnightduddie96 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Thanks chris, i'll definitely check that out.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Actually there are some additives that may help. Don't cheap out or you'll be wasting your money. Lucas makes good products but I don't know if they make that.
Best thing to do is make sure that your PCV system is clear and working properly. If it doesn't work, pressure builds up in the crankcase and it has to go somewhere. Number 1 cause of leaking front and rear seals.
Listen to this. Could save you a bunch of money and or hassle. Mine didn't leak anything when I bought it and was a very low mileage truck howeve after about 3k miles and an oil change it started leaking. My buddy who builds cars said the PO probably has been putting Lucas stop leak in it and said it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. I did but it still leaked at a decent clip. Didn't drip over night but I would lose a quart every 1k miles or so. Changed just the PCV for $4.00 and it doesn't leak a drop that I can tell anymore. Best and cheapest fix I ever did and was very grateful someone told me to try that before I had the rear main replaced
Old 11-29-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by choate
Listen to this. Could save you a bunch of money and or hassle. Mine didn't leak anything when I bought it and was a very low mileage truck howeve after about 3k miles and an oil change it started leaking. My buddy who builds cars said the PO probably has been putting Lucas stop leak in it and said it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. I did but it still leaked at a decent clip. Didn't drip over night but I would lose a quart every 1k miles or so. Changed just the PCV for $4.00 and it doesn't leak a drop that I can tell anymore. Best and cheapest fix I ever did and was very grateful someone told me to try that before I had the rear main replaced
definitely gonna check it later today and clean it up. thanks for the input guys
Old 11-29-2015, 04:23 PM

checked my pcv valve and it has good suction but quite a bit of buildup around it, so i'll be cleaning it up tomorrow just in case
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightduddie96
checked my pcv valve and it has good suction but quite a bit of buildup around it, so i'll be cleaning it up tomorrow just in case
Cheap less than $10 part generally. Don't clean it, replace it.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I had to dig but you have the I6. Replacing the PCV is sound advise.

On the I6 a leaking valve cover or pushrod cover will drip in the same spot as a rear main seal. I'd bet one or both of those gaskets is your problem. Use rubber Felpro as replacements with no rtv on valve cover, install it dry. Pushrod cover use Permatex The Right Stuff along with gasket and let cure in warm garage overnight. Permatex TRS can usually be put in service immediately, but not in the case of the pushrod cover.

Quick Reply: Best leak fixing oil additive