Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Beer in the garage and some brainstorming

Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beer in the garage and some brainstorming

My buddy and I were sitting I his garage looking at my truck and after a couple beers, he said I should turbo my truck. At first I laughed about it but after a couple more beers I remembered I have a Saab with a turbo on it that is going to scrap soon. How hard would it be to put on it? Would I gain anything? The turbo isn't very big, it is only a little 4 cylinder engine it is on. My truck has the 300 efi in it.

I don't really need any more power, and I don't care much about going fast. So why would I put it on there? For the same reason my buddy is putting a 24 valve into his f250 that already had a great running 7.3 in it... Why not?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Why not? Because screwing with a perfectly good motor (assuming it runs well) to try an experiment with a part that is not made for it is just plain stupid. Now, if it is not a good running engine, a turbo add probably will make it worse, especially a Saab turbo. I assume your friend is switching out motors? That's a little different. He will still have a good 7.3 if his experiment doesn't work.

But it is your truck, and I am not your dad. By the way, there is a reason Saab went out of business. And according to my dad who owns a Saab, the car is crap.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by memoniz
Why not? Because screwing with a perfectly good motor (assuming it runs well) to try an experiment with a part that is not made for it is just plain stupid. Now, if it is not a good running engine, a turbo add probably will make it worse, especially a Saab turbo. I assume your friend is switching out motors? That's a little different. He will still have a good 7.3 if his experiment doesn't work.

But it is your truck, and I am not your dad. By the way, there is a reason Saab went out of business. And according to my dad who owns a Saab, the car is crap.
Settle down, messing with a perfectly good ENGINE is called hot rodding and being a gear head.

To the OP, I don't think you would be able to make it work, unless you have an unlimited budget which makes anything possible.
The following users liked this post:
Snaggletooth (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was always told by my grandfather if the motor is running good leave it alone
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just do the regular oil changes and up keep and keep your hands off
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty but trusty
Settle down, messing with a perfectly good ENGINE is called hot rodding and being a gear head.

To the OP, I don't think you would be able to make it work, unless you have an unlimited budget which makes anything possible.
Yea, maybe, no. Hot rodding is purposefully trying to do something to a vehicle to make it stronger, faster, or whatever. The OP was stating that he didn't care to make it faster or more powerful, it was just because it was there. I also agree I don't think it will work and that is what makes it a dumb move in my book, if you have a good working engine.

Also, please, don't read into what I write with any kind of ill will. It's your truck, your life, I would expect you to do what you want with it. I was just voicing an opinion. I am not emotionally attached.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries I wasn't offended.

Let me rephrase what I said. Do I want to got faster? Yes. Do I want more power? Of course! Do I really NEED more of either? Not really.

I am not really sure how much boost I would get from it, any if it would make a difference. Like said above, I am just being a gear head.

I don't think I would have a problem getting intake and exhaust set up. The oil lines I am not sure about. The waste gate... Not 100 percent on how it works, all I know is it bypasses exhaust around the turbine. There are some hoses going to it, I assume these control it? Since it would be going from a smaller engine to a bigger one, do I even need it?

Last edited by Ryan313; 09-02-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 AM

Well, now that you rephrased it, I still don't think it's a good idea. But, if you are going to try, look up a kit that is made for a 300, see what parts you would need and try to fill it in with the Saab parts.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a few more beers and toss a 7.3 turbo on it. For the oil line just put a t on the oil pressure sender then drain it back into the oil pan. You'll have to weld a nipple on the oil pan.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Country Boy

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I will say that I doubt slob, oops I mean Saab, actually designed and manufactured that turbo. So at least THAT ain't a Saab part (I don't think).

As for putting it on your 300... go for it. Just be ready to buy a new engine if you need that truck. Adding a turbo requires a bottom end that can handle the extra stress, as well as making sure your air/fuel ratio stays within a safe range so you don't burn stuff up. NOT saying it won't work, just saying it *might* kill that 300, and if so then be ready to replace it with either another 300 or whatever other engine you might want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beer in the garage and some brainstorming