Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

battery light and alt not charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery light and alt not charging

ok so some idiot hooked up the battery backwards its a 90 f150 with the 4.9,and since then the alt hasnt been charging and the bat light stays on and gauge reading way below 12v. it runs but does not charge.
i changed the harnes that go from the solenoid to the alt since it looked somewhat bad but none of the fusible links where bad but still no luck.
now if i unplug the voltage reg connector the light goes off but still not charging, if i unhook the neg cable while running it cuts off.
could it be the voltage reg thats cooked or the alt it self?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorr90
ok so some idiot hooked up the battery backwards its a 90 f150 with the 4.9,and since then the alt hasnt been charging and the bat light stays on and gauge reading way below 12v. it runs but does not charge.
i changed the harnes that go from the solenoid to the alt since it looked somewhat bad but none of the fusible links where bad but still no luck.
now if i unplug the voltage reg connector the light goes off but still not charging, if i unhook the neg cable while running it cuts off.
could it be the voltage reg thats cooked or the alt it self?
Your Alt. is toast & possibly the Battery. Have the battery load tested, & the Alt. bench checked.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Your Alt. is toast & possibly the Battery. Have the battery load tested, & the Alt. bench checked.
i the battey took a charge but it keeps draining because of the alt not charging, i will bench test the alt next.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 PM

ok i took the alt to test it and it failed, got the new one on whoala back to normal good thing it has a lifetime warranty just in case it happens again
Old 05-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by salvadorr90
ok i took the alt to test it and it failed, got the new one on whoala back to normal good thing it has a lifetime warranty just in case it happens again
V-O-I-L-A Has to be the most used/ misspelled word on the Forum. Some spellings more entertaining than others, Like who-ala! (Im' not saying I didn't have to look it up the first time though)
Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
V-O-I-L-A Has to be the most used/ misspelled word on the Forum. Some spellings more entertaining than others, Like who-ala! (Im' not saying I didn't have to look it up the first time though)
ahem.. and those with dyslexia, whom shall remain nameless, spell it viola'
Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
ahem.. and those with dyslexia, whom shall remain nameless, spell it viola'
That's ok. Play another one on that thar Viola, Hack! (also means "a crap load of a certain purple flowers")

Quick Reply: battery light and alt not charging