Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Bad idle/shuddering in 2nd gear at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad idle/shuddering in 2nd gear at low rpms

Hey guys, i got a 1990 302 auto 4x4. My coolant flowing through the throttle body sprung a leak at the housing so I bypassed it and just decided not to run anything through the throttle body. I don't think it caused this problem but i'm not sure whats going on.

At idle in gear it will sometimes idle down and surge/shudder at like 500, and in neutral its worse. The truck will make a clicking sound and almost completely die, then idle up to 1000 and continue to cycle like that for a while. not always, but more and more often. Revving it up to 2000 real quick usually resets it. Is there a sort of idle control valve or bypass or something? How does it regulate that?

Also, the drive line is kinda shaky but sometimes at low rpms in 2nd gear when im trying to accelerate the truck stutters and bucks and when i push the gas down more it surges forwards and runs like normal. Not sure if the two are related but this problem feels more like its in the engine than the driveshaft or trans. I also did the center bearing and trans mount 200 miles ago.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Reid

Quick Reply: Bad idle/shuddering in 2nd gear at low rpms