Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Auto to Manual Swap: Need Helping Hooking Clutch Switch Up!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto to Manual Swap: Need Helping Hooking Clutch Switch Up!???

Hello,
I have a 1993 F150 XLT with the 5.0L E40D and I changed the E40D to an M50D 5 speed from a donor truck. Now, I personally wouldn't need a clutch switch because I know to push the clutch in every time, but... if anyone else got in the truck... I'd be afraid to ask. So, this leads me to my question. If I bought a new clutch switch from an auto parts store, how would I go about hooking it up to my truck which was originally an automatic with the E40D. I hear they're pretty simple in theory, but hooking one up is a whole different question. If someone has a diagram for my 93, what color wires to hook it up to, those wire locations, and how to do it, would be greatly appreciated. I personally am not hooking it up myself but it would be nice to tell my mechanic exactly which wires to look for and route them too because I'm sure he doesn't hook them up everyday; especially on a 93 F150. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Not to get too nosey, but why a mechanic and how much did it cost ya? and I do not have knowlege of the question by the way.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It would be best to get the clutch switch from a junkyard, not because of the part but because you probably need the connector to it too. Park/neutral position switch has white/pink or red/blue wire in, and a white/pink wire out. Clutch position switch has a white/pink or red/blue wire in, and a red/blue wire out.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM

To "Boogerburns," It's not that I can't do it, but I'm 16 yrs old and I would rather someone else do wiring on my truck. I could try anything else on it, but wiring drives me nuts. I hate it. And I dunno how much it would be to do it including parts and everything, but I wouldn't think too, too much.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Okay, thanks for the colors and everything Sean. I'm just wondering, like where are these wires located? Are they on the harness that I disconnected to take my E40D out like that snapped on to the tranny? If so, how would I go about hooking them up to the clutch switch? I have no knowledge of wiring but I know the basics. Maybe I could do it myself. Just give me a little help on how to do it it you can , thanks alot.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Neutral safety switch is on the steering column. Switch in to in from neutral switch to clutch switch, and switch out to out.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Swap: Need Helping Hooking Clutch Switch Up!???