Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

aod rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aod rebuild?

I thinking about trying to rebuild my 1991 aod trans. myself. I have rebuilt several engines and taken down about 5 or more top loaders. I want to dabble into the automatic trans. I found a master overhaul kit with borg warner parts for 125 with shipping and a video included. I found a couple of used transmissions on car-part.com in the area for 300-400. Im thinking that these may be bad too, so why not gamble with my garage rebuild, if I fail I'm only out 125 and some fluid. Anyone tried this before? I think I can rent any special tools from autozone or borrow them from the local speed shop? Is this idea crazy? I don't feel like spending a grand on a truck that I only use for dump runs and keggers.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel up to it, why not give it a try? As you said, the worst thing that could happen is having to buy a used or rebuilt transmission anyway.

Back in my college days, I had an 86 Mazda RX7. Of course, I drove it hard... Blew the tranny out, and decided to buy a rebuild kit and a lot of beer. 3 frustrating days later, my little Ford Ranger hauled a couple of boxes of transmission parts to the shop for someone to put back together... That was my first and last - hopefully yours goes better than mine did!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:57 AM

I've been dabbling in transmissions lately. Get the ATSG manual for the AOD and you won't go wrong. It'll tell you every bolt torque, line pressures, spring and valve positions...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
king of the I know nothin

I have rebuilt several auto's I would say have someone that knows what they r doing to give you a hand cause alot of things that dont look bad could be. Make sure you keep a clean area you r working in. Then make sure you take notes on the sequence of the parts you take out. If you can I would take a couple pics. But if you go slow and dont rush i think you will have good luck. Remeber if you have a doubt make sure you refer to your manuals. if you have a good service manual and usually the local ford dealer can point you to a good one I have several I have bought from dealers or well my cousin he ownes a couple gm and ford dealers here in st louis.

Quick Reply: aod rebuild?