Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Anyone ever replaced a 5.8L oil pan gasket w/ engine in truck??

Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anyone ever replaced a 5.8L oil pan gasket w/ engine in truck??

I'm pulling the E4OD out of my '95 4WD next weekend JUST to replace the rear main seal on the 5.8. I haven't studied it too much yet to even see if the gasket is leaking too but I'm wondering how easy it would be to change it while I've got the tranny out and if the pan will come out the back with the bell housing out of the way. I've got a picker to lift the motor if extra clearance is needed to pull the pan but I'm wondering if anyone has done it this way and if you could offer any advice. I will also be replacing the Y-pipe and cat with new Magnaflow units so it will also be out of the way.

BTW...I'll be draining the converter and transmission and replacing its pan gasket, filter, front pump seal, and fluid for good measure. I'd really like to overhaul it too but I don't have time for that now. I don't have any issues with it but with 182,000 miles on the truck, I figured I would at some point...maybe next year.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

why not just pull the engine and not the trans,it is easier plus you can go ahead and replace the worn out engine mounts and the old coolant.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yeah, I don't remove the engine to change the transmission front seal and pan gasket.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

most of the time the rear seal isnt leaking... its the pan gasket running back and down but yes I have and the exhaust needs to come off its its the stck y-pipe and the intake upper half...
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

yeah i for got about the V8 cross over pipe.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just unbolted the motor mounts ang put a block of wood under the crank and used a floor jack to lift it enough to get the ban off. it's a pain in the ***, but it can be done. and i think it would be easier to just unbolt the trans and slide it back, than to pull the engine.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
why not just pull the engine and not the trans,it is easier plus you can go ahead and replace the worn out engine mounts and the old coolant.
I respectfully disagree...pulling this engine is not easier than pulling the transmission.

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Yeah, I don't remove the engine to change the transmission front seal and pan gasket.
The transmission pan gasket, no but the front pump seal, yes you do or at least the engine and transmission must be separated...I'm doing the filter and gasket since it's drained and out. I'm pulling the transmission to replace the rear main seal.

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
most of the time the rear seal isnt leaking... its the pan gasket running back and down but yes I have and the exhaust needs to come off its its the stck y-pipe and the intake upper half...
Yeah, but it's absolutely the RMS in this case...the oil is leaking into the bell housing and dripping out of the converter drain plug access hole. The engine's oil pan is actually pretty clean but I want to inspect it closely and do its gasket at the same time if necessary.

Originally Posted by 90F150XLTBilly
i just unbolted the motor mounts ang put a block of wood under the crank and used a floor jack to lift it enough to get the ban off. it's a pain in the ***, but it can be done. and i think it would be easier to just unbolt the trans and slide it back, than to pull the engine.
I agree with the trans rather than the engine. I guess I'll report back here if I manage to pull the pan without lifting the motor (with the bell housing and y-pipe out of the way that is). I suppose that lifting the motor isn't that big of deal but I'd rather not if I don't have to. If I DO lift it, I also wonder if I can lift it without removing any top end stuff since it'll be free of the transmission.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Oops...reread your reply. Never mind!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Cool man.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
IJK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive only done an oil pan on a 5.8 e150 but i had to remove the fan shroud, upper intake, y pipe, disconnect the motor mounts jack the engine up drop pan down. remove oil pump into pan and slide the pan out the back. it is a pita and just be sure when u put he oil pump drive shaft back in that it goes in the right place all the way or else you will be pulling the engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever replaced a 5.8L oil pan gasket w/ engine in truck??