Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Another freeze plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another freeze plug problem

I have a 96' F150 5.0 Auto. The freeze/casting plug on the drivers side rear of the engine is leaking. I have looked at it and the oil dipstick runs right in front of it and the exhaust manifold and pipe are probably going to be in the way also. I took it to Tire Kingdom and theres no price they would do it for. Took it to Goodyear and they said $200 if everything goes as planned or $700 if not. Has anybody replaced this freeze plug before? What do I need to have on hand if I do this myself?, so im not running back and forth to the parts store.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

knock it out and get a rubber replacement and put that in....or a brass one if you think you can get to it....
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Summit Racing has brass freeze plugs.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If one's going the rest aren't far behind. I pulled my engine to do my Blazer ones. My truck has the I6 so those weren't as bad and I left the engine in.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are gonna need some beer- it's a pain in the ***. I just did mine- it was the one on the driver's side right behind the motor mount. If the one you are referring to is the one next to the one I did, you can get away with not taking off the exhaust manifold or pulling the engine. Here is what I did: take off intake manifold, transmission linkage, and anything else that may get in the way or damaged by raising the engine. Remove bolts to the motor mounts and tranny mount. You may have to remove the motor mount on that side. Raise engine with hydraulic jack and wood blocks on the oil pan. Raise it good and you will have clearance in there, but there ain't much room to work. The biggest problem you are going to run into is getting the old one out. It is gonna be weak in the middle and rusted out so when you poke a screwdriver in there and try prying it out, it may just keep poking through the worn out inside. When I did this it took 4 hours just to get the old one out because it was so rusted up and corroded that the screwdriver just kept poking through until I was left with just the rim. I had to chisel away at it until it turned and I could pull it out. Get ready to swear and be uncomfortable for a few hours dude. I would suggest you poke a screwdriver in there on a solid non rusted up part of it and get some leverage and Quickly use some force and jack that thing outta there. Putting the new one in is a breeze. When you put the new one in, make sure it goes in even and not too far or the flow of coolant will eat through it in a few thousand miles. You will need a small hammer a long screwdriver, hydraulic jack, sockets to get out the bolts and the manifold, a torx 40 socket (short) to get out the hidden bolt in the intake manifold and an extension to slip over it to get it out. This job all depends on how that plug comes out.

Last edited by walter34payton2002; 09-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sounds easy.... (sigh). Well, it looks like I won't be having much of a weekend. Luckly, My dad rents out our other bays to 2 do-it-yourself mechanics and they have the motor lifts and all that. Ill get 2 of my buddies to share in this amazing experience with me, lol. Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: Another freeze plug problem