Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Alternator Wiring Questions

Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Wiring Questions

I've got a 1990 Ford F150 that started life as a 4.9 liter inline 6 cylinder automatic. The guy I bought the truck from converted it into a 5.0 liter 5 speed manual and hacked up everything in his path. He was even so stupid as to use the six cylinder motor's alternator bracket which didn't line up on the v8 so he only installed one bolt to hold it on. I'm rectifying this problem now. I was looking for the proper alternator bracket at my local junkyards and only found one out of a 1992 e150 van. I got the bracket and the alternator with it. The bracket mounted up perfectly to my motor but the wiring on the back of the alternator is different than my old alternator. I can't use the old alternator because it mounts to the bracket completely differently. So, I've got to figure out which wires to splice to make it work. Here is a video of my new alternator that I have to install and wire. Does anyone know which wires go where? Also, are both my old and new alternators internally regulated?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok.. take the big wire (battery out put wire) and the yellow wire coming from the black plug and connect them to the positive side of your starter solenoid.. then take the green wire/red strip and splice it in to the wire that goes to your dash light...

If you look on your solenoid you should see the old harness connected to it.. you should be able to just take the old harness off and put that one on.. then splice the warning light wire into the existing wire thats running to your dash light..

Hang on and Ill try to find you some diagrams
Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here I made a real quick diagram.. when you pull the old harness off there will be one wire that doesnt go to the solenoid.. thats the wire going to your dash light.. just cut that wire off the old harness and leave it... then splice your green wire from new alternator into it
\

Oh and I just seen you asked if it was internal regulated.. the answer is yes.. you new alternator is Internally regulated and your old one should have been also..

Last edited by TheLoudestSilence; 10-08-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Wiring Questions