Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Intake Question

Hey guys (and gals),

I know there is a lot about air intake on this site, but I have kind of a specific question that maybe somebody can help me out with. I just got my 96 F-150 the other day and I love it, but I want to modify the air intake on it. Basically I plan on doing something very similar to what this guy did.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/62...and-cheap.html

I've decided to go ahead and buy myself a K&N round air filter. I've looked them up on ebay and the prices range a lot ($50-$250+). My question is, do I need to buy the series of filter that is sold specifically for my truck or can I buy a "universal" air filter that will fit my truck. The products I'm specifically looking at are below.

Specific Filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Air-Inta...33ab55&vxp=mtr

"Universal" Filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1996-Ford-F-150-K-N-Air-Filter-RF1017-/290572308076?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a7758e6c&vxp=mtr
The only difference I see between the two is that the series made for my truck comes with an attachment kit, but it also costs over $80 more than the other one. I would think that I could rig my own attachment, but will the cheaper filter provide the same performance and such as the expensive one. Both of them claim to fit my vehicle. Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

It makes no difference. The bigger the filter the more area to trap dirt. As long as you don't go smaller then your intake line.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

A universal will work fine. I've installed several on our series of trucks. My '95 4.9, my former '94 5.0 and a buddies '92 5.8. You don't tell us which motor. That makes a difference. If you go with an open air filter like I've done on all 3 trucks, you'll be running a warm air intake using warm air from under the hood. I think I've done the most research on this topic doing air intake temp measurements, mpg tests and even 1/4 mile runs. I gained about 1mpg with my k&n dual runner tube rf1012 and little performance gains. You shouldn't have to spend more than $75 whether you go k$n or other aftermarket setup. You'll need an adapter regardless of engine and intake style, one tube, 2 tube or Maf intake with a single tube.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/diy-co...intake-208689/
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/intake...205420/index2/
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/just-g...bility-136167/
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/cold-a...-0l-v8-189084/

Last edited by unit505; 08-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed a k&n intake on my 95 4.9 and 87 4.9 and i noticed no difference from either truck. I wouldnt bother with one
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Every engine is different. Several others HAVE noticed subtle improvements. My biggest thing is no more buying filters and with the K&N RF1012 and other similar larger filters, more surface area for less maintenance than the drop in fabric filters. Not to mention, no matter how you look at it, with proper maintenance, you should see some improvement. Removing the stock box and snorkel reduces the number of bends and restrictions in the intake system. Reduce intake restrictions and you should see a gain, no matter how small. You still can do no better than the amount of air that the throttle body allows into the engine, but you can allow it to breathe easier. Not downing Forka's experience. It depends on driving style, complete maintenance, load hauling, Etc. At $7 - $12 for the paper filters, you can't go wrong with the permanent fabrics. They pay for themselves in short order. Paper filters in high humidity or heavy rainfall areas will get wet. when paper gets wet, it swells, clogs, and becomes brittle in short order.

Last edited by unit505; 08-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I left my snorkel in so it it would flow more air in
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody! I have the 5.0L V8. It does have a mass airflow sensor, but I don't see how one of these filters will mess that up. Somebody mentioned all the bends in the line and that is one thing I plan on currently changing as well as moving the actually intake to a place where it will receive more airflow. I need to replace the old filter regardless, and I know I want to go from the square filter I have to a round filter as they have more surface area. Between the filter, straight connection, and updating the intake to a better location I don't see how I can't get at least a little improvement. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Unit505 if you look at his design its actually a cold air using a fabricated intake box against the radiator support intake. The cold should increase HP my only concern would be a drop in intake velocity due to turbulence of the non directional square box although the pressurized air through the rad support may make a high pressure area for some ram air effect. The MAF fouling complaint is based on over oiling of the fabric filters. The oil can be forced down stream and foul the MAF sensor. As long as you don't over oil you will be fine. Make sure you attach your PVC with some kind if filter to the air stream after the air filter. You need clean air for the PVC and need to keep blow by oil out of the intake.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Your not getting any air pressure with the factory snorkel. The snorkel mounts into the rad support and behind the closed portion of the grill. No direct air flow. If it was direct, or ram air, your filter would be water logged the first heavy rain that you encounter. With the HP our trucks make, or lack of hp, the HP gain from cold air vs. warm air is so small that you'd never notice it unless your looking at that thousandth of a second at the track. I tried some research with some performance calculators to figure the HP gained from a 20-30 degree range and it was virtually impossible to calculate even a tenth of 1hp. Remember, at speeds above 35mph or so, the outside temps are only 5-10 degrees cooler than under the hood. We have a large grill on our trucks and lots of air flow to the engine bay.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I'd look at k&n design. They dyno the round filter with existing toobing at 5hp and full kit at 10hp gain. The full kit retains the grill inlet. The full kit is one piece from filter to throttle body. So it stands to reason trying to have something without mutiple connections is how to make gains.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Question