Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

ABS Light and E-Brake Light Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS Light and E-Brake Light Problem?

Hey Guys, its been a very long time since i have posted on here. Well the truck is doing fine. I am still saving up so i can re-do the front end. Thursday i will give her a brake job and replace the front caliper assemblies.

I just recently put new shocks in my truck. the old stock shocks are smaller in diameter than the new heavy duty shocks that i just put in. Well i didnt think that would be a problem. With the new Monroe Reflex shocks it couldn't ride better.

Heres the problem....About 3 days after i put the new shocks in my ABS and EBrake light has been coming on. Its weird because it seems like the brakes are engaged when it comes on. It comes off after i let the truck sit for a bit and then start her up again... then after a little driving the lights come on again and it acts like the brakes are engaged. The ONLY thing that i can think of is that since the new shocks that i put in are considerably bigger in diameter than the old shocks ( i had to move the EBrake cable a bit to get them in on the driver's side.) , that the EBrake cable is not engaging and de-engaging properly. I dont know if i have to loosen it or what not. I still dont know why this would cause the panel ABS light to come on.

any ideas...please...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If the brake light comes on then the ABS light automatically comes on too. If you only moved the emergency brake cables then that shouldn't be the problem, just a coincidence. Most likely you have air in the brake system or something has failed.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't mean to thread jack, but a similar situation is happeing on my '89. I havn't done any shock or brake work. I noticed that my light is coming on and staying. The only thing I can remember doing is putting on the parking brake. Admitedly, I did drive off with the brake on (I sometimes forget), but I had cut the truck off a few times and it still comes back on.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dogg
Don't mean to thread jack, but a similar situation is happeing on my '89. I havn't done any shock or brake work. I noticed that my light is coming on and staying. The only thing I can remember doing is putting on the parking brake. Admitedly, I did drive off with the brake on (I sometimes forget), but I had cut the truck off a few times and it still comes back on.
I would check the emergency brake light switch on yours. Mine does that too sometimes, but messing with the pedal usually makes it go out.

Quick Reply: ABS Light and E-Brake Light Problem?