Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

about to give up on this truck!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Default about to give up on this truck!!!!!!

92 ford f150 4x4 e4od 4.9

i've tried everything to get this truck running right, and everytime i fix one thing something else gives out,

so far it has a new
fuel pump,
air idle control valve,
coolant temp sender
radiator, and hoses
alt.
serp belt.

at first i had about 11 codes pop up
now the only codes i get are the egr and the torque lock up

all of a sudden last night i'm driving home and i pull up to a light and when i go to take off the trucks starts to sputter like its going to die. i pull into the gas station and deside to fill up i'm on E anyways thought it might be that, when i open my tank it is filled with pressure, i fill up and it only takes 9 gal of gas???? normally it will take about 14-16 on E
-yesterday it was about 70+ deg. outside -
now the truck doesnt act like it is dying but it feels real real sluggish, and it feels like a tranny break or something is on it, as soon as i let off the gas it starts slowing down, fast and it wont stay in od when i'm going about 55 or so if i press the gas just a little more it down shifts and if i let off if down shifts, i've ran all the codes over and over, reset them and ran the truck again. and i just get the same 2 codes.

also where do the 2 vac lines coming off the tranny go?? both of mine are plugged into the main vac tee on the intake.?????? i was told this was wrong but they didnt know where the other one went.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
1994 Shortbed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the EGR code, that's easy, clean the intake plenum. The EGR valve does not go bad unless the bladder is torn somehow, and that rarely hapens. The EGR port on those engines are notorious for clogging with carbon, I had to use a screwdriver to punch the "wall" of carbon out, then cleaned it up with a wire brush. As for the transmission, the e4od transmissions don't hold up so well unless you baby them, but the engines are generally HARD to kill. As for the fuel tank issue, it would seem like the rod for the sending unit is bent, and it reads as if it has less than is actually there. I have my 94 4.9, and aside from basic parts wearing out with age, I've had no real issues. Difference is that I have a 5 speed, and not an automatic. For a good effort at a quick fix, I'd do a transmission service, and add a bottle or 2 of Lucas. SOmething else that could work is adjusting the bands, or replacing them as needed if they're burned up. I'd almost guess you have something clogged int here somewhere. REMEMBER: If you do the transmission service, DO NOT forget the Lucas, any decent mechanic will tell you that if you service an automatic transmission that has never been serviced, it will die! The Lucas will prevent that, I've seent eh stuff work miricles on a transmission that should have been in a junkyard over a year ago.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

There aren't any vacuum lines going to the tranny. You must be talking about the transfer case. One will go to the vacuum tee, and the other should go to the automatic locking hub solenoid. I'm not too familiar with the 4 wheel drive because mine isn't, but that's how it is on a Chevy. If that's how it works then your front axle isn't locking up when in 4 wheel drive, unless someone has swapped to manual hubs. Then you would just cap off the line at the tee and hook nothing to the transfer case. Someone else with more experience with these 4 wheel drive systems can verify this or correct me.

It's highly unlikely the float rod would be bent, the fuel level sending unit is a common problem on these trucks.

I imagine you're getting the torque converter code because the truck is running so terrible, it won't stay locked in because of the lack of power. Get that EGR problem fixed and then go from there.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the codes - EGR is the issue. Mine had the TCC code come and go during my EGR problems too, but it went away after getting the EGR system in check. I think my EGR thread went on for 20+ pages...

It'll run like crap if the EGR isn't working right - which code are you getting? The EGR code can be caused by a wide variety of things - bad vacuum line, clogged intake port, rusted out exhaust inlet tube, bad valve, bad solenoid, bad sensor, blah blah blah...

There are a lot of guys here that can help you figure out the cause - just give some info to work with and take it step by step. You might get lucky and have $1 worth of vacuum line to replace!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM
broke white boy

well i got a chance to look at it lastnight after it i was on my way home from work and it startted sputtering, but this time it died, i got it started and limped it home, it was more like it wasnt getting any fuel, i let it cool down when i got home, then i hooked up my fuel pressure tester, ran good at about 45-50 psi jumping up when i gave it gas, let it idle for about 15 min to warm back up and the fuel dropped down to 20psi and would drop to about 15psi when i gave it gas, yeah that was a vac line to the transfer case, but i was told it is just a vent line and doesnt hook into the vac tee. the other line i was seeing went from the tee down over to the top of the tranny then back up to some sensors that plug in under the egr valve, i think some one was just to lazy to cut the line to fit, or they thought that would be a good place to keep extra line, lol
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the fuel pressure hold and for how long after engine is shut off? Another posibility is a plugged fuel filter.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 AM

+1 on the filter. Might also check the fuel pressure regulator - your pressure at 45-50psi seems a bit high initially, then a bit low after it warms up and drops to 15-20. That could be as simple as the vacuum line to the regulator, and not the regulator itself.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
broke white boy

i'll replace the regulator vac lines when i get home.
the filter is about 3 months old, i replaced it when i replaced the fuel pump, and i also tested the regulator at the same time. and blew out all the lines.
when i get home tonight i'll check to see how much pressure i still have in the lines, i left the pressure gauge hooked up last night.
ALSO i'm still getting alot of tank pressure when the truck is warm and i've been driving, i drove it home from work lastnight and when it started acting up i opened my gas cap and fuel ( NOT VAPORS) spilled out and ran down the bed. and it did the same thing (but not as bad just vapor hissing) when i did the test where i watched the fuel pressure drop to 20 psi P.S. i have a full tank of gas in it!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Sounds like pressure may not be able to get out. Not too sure about all the causes, but I'd think either a plugged up vent line (runs from the tank to the charcoal canister on passenger front side of engine bay), or a pooped out filler cap.

The filler cap is cheap and easy to replace, the vent line might take some time and effort to sort through.

This too could affect fuel pressure, so I think I would look into those before replacing parts that have already been replaced.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
King92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aliens8mycow
Sounds like pressure may not be able to get out. Not too sure about all the causes, but I'd think either a plugged up vent line (runs from the tank to the charcoal canister on passenger front side of engine bay), or a pooped out filler cap.

The filler cap is cheap and easy to replace, the vent line might take some time and effort to sort through.

This too could affect fuel pressure, so I think I would look into those before replacing parts that have already been replaced.
+1 plug venting system, living on a dirt roads and driving them a lot I have had this same problem a couple times on different vehical

Quick Reply: about to give up on this truck!!!!!!