Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

96 f150 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 transmission help

1996 f150 5.0 4X4 It won't go into gear when you put in drive unless you rev it. Then it catches and runs fine. In reverse, it runs fine, doesn't have to rev it. What could be causing this? The filter and fluid have been changed. What else should I look for?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have an OBDII system which shows more data points then OBDI so pull the codes first. You did not mention how many miles you have on your 96. First off make sure the fluid level is correct. If that is ok, several things come to mind, a bad pump, worn primary clutch pack, etc. First off run the codes and see what that tells you. One piece of advice
do not take it to a transmission shop unless you have one you trust. Having a transmission tested to see if there is something wrong by a shop that does nothing else and is not the most honest in the world is like asking a barber if you need a hair cut. Of course there will be something wrong with it. One thing this is a warning shot it does sound like the transmission might be at the end of its service life. What is interesting to me is presently it is cheaper to rebuild an automatic transmission then a manual box. The present manual transmissons have throw away parts which are changed out when the transmission requires a rebuild, and they are very expensive.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. There are about 160,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: 96 f150 transmission help