Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

96 4.9L oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 4.9L oil pan gasket

i just bought a 1996 eddie bauer 2wd with the 300 inline six and a 5 spd trans. it has a small oil drip from the oil pan gasket that i can put up with if necessary, but i would rather fix it if it isnt too hard. what all is involved this?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:32 PM

are u sure it is not the pan it self leaking??????
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Those trucks had a neoprene gasket. They squuish out from the sealing surface eventually. Its not hard to do. I have had to pull the tranny to get clearance on some of them to drop the pan. If its the neoprene like I think it is you can take the old one off and slip it under the oil pump and slide the new one in the same way. BE CAREFUL with the old gasket there are metal stops where the bolt holes are. The metal stops will fall out of the old gasket. MAKE SURE you have all of them before bolting it back together.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Those trucks had a neoprene gasket. They squuish out from the sealing surface eventually. Its not hard to do. I have had to pull the tranny to get clearance on some of them to drop the pan. If its the neoprene like I think it is you can take the old one off and slip it under the oil pump and slide the new one in the same way. BE CAREFUL with the old gasket there are metal stops where the bolt holes are. The metal stops will fall out of the old gasket. MAKE SURE you have all of them before bolting it back together.
yep, that's exactly what it's doing, you can see the old gasket squishing out in a couple of places around the sides thanks a lot for the help.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:38 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flickjo96
yep, that's exactly what it's doing, you can see the old gasket squishing out in a couple of places around the sides thanks a lot for the help.
NP good luck with it.

Quick Reply: 96 4.9L oil pan gasket