Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 possible transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 possible transmission problem?

hello again crew- got another question to bring up now. i've noticed that my truck tends to shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear. it doesnt bang, but it seems like it slips a bit then catches up. all other gears seem fine. then, when i press the brake, seeming like no matter what gear im in at the time, i hear a bang, and feel like something is hitting the floorboard under my feet. (is that unrelated?) there is a couple other things going on with the truck that i havent had a chance to fix yet that might be affecting this, like my valve cover gasket is leaking and when i shift the truck into gear(automatic transmission) the gear indicator lines up more to the right of the gear i want to be in, as opposed to the center of it. i didnt know if that doing that might be making the gears not line up completely in the tranny. i just got this truck so i havent had time to look to see what transmission i have. the truck is a 95 5.0 v8 4x4 with overdrive automatic transmission. i just wanted to get some opinions or advice before i bring this into a shop to get looked at. thanks a lot everyone..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Check your engine and transmission mounts. That is where I would start. Check the U-joints for play. I think from your description that the trans is on its last legs. If its flaring between gears.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Check what NGM said, but I think the lock up torque converter is malfunctioning, or the switch for it. When you step on the brake the torque converter is supposed to unlock, but it sounds like yours is sticking a bit causing the bang. Someone else posted elsewhere about the lock up malfunction causing a bad first to second shift also.

Quick Reply: 95 possible transmission problem?