Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 f150 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 f150 wont start

Hey all I drive a 95 f150 4.9l i6 and I stopped driving it maybe 5-6 months ago, and it basically wont start now just from sitting it had about a quarter tank in it so I decided to change the fuel filter since I had a new one laying around put fresh high octane chevron gas in it with some gumout+regane sprayed the intake with starting fluid went KOEO and heard the fuel pump run for its usual 2-3 seconds then started cranking her annnddd nothing... believe my problem is now in the spark and ignition areas now but too tired to try anymore hoping I could get some suggestions to start with tomorrow so I'm not going into it wasting my time
Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To check the basics, I'd say start with fuel pressure (do you hear the pump whine?, is there pressure at the fuel rail on the engine?) and then check if you have spark.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If it won't hit with starting fluid, I'd check spark. Start with a plug wire and start checking back from there. Buy a noid light/plug tester or have someone crank it while you hold the plug wire near a ground. Could be something as simple as a bad rotor button. There are a LOT of things that could cause a no-spark issue, though. Sometimes you can figure it out right off the bat. Sometimes, it's a little more difficult (bad ignition module, pip sensor, etc.) Just have to roll up your sleeves and dig in!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM

Just replaced the fuel pump not too long ago and kicks on I can hear it running fine, I'll check shrader valve to ensure pressure is right, but I do have a feeling it's the spark getting ready to pull a plug and find out but I changed the plugs this last year ... could something really have happened to my truck from just sitting for 5 months it ran like a champ before started right up? Bad truck owner bad
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Moisture or corrosion inside the distributor cap could easily happen. Possibly corrosion around any one of a number of electrical connectors. I would also check the wiring really well. Rodents love to get in there and wreak havoc!
Old 01-18-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean up the terminals on your starter as well. Remove the cables and hit it with a wire brush real quick. I had a 93 that was real finicky like that. Occasionally i would have to just wiggle the leads a little and tighten them back down.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Update: checked spark and it was getting spark no problem when I checked fuel pressure from the shrader valve tho no gas shot out at me and the fuel pump clearly turned on

Edit: unhooked fuel line right before fuel filter to see if there was pressure and still no gas. i can hear the fuel pump motor running but its not pumping out gas guessing i need a new fuel pump? or could it be the sending unit?

Last edited by Eric Loiselle; 01-18-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sending unit is just there for the fuel gauge, so that couldn't prevent fuel from flowing.

Dumb question, but there is enough gas in the tank, right? The pump will run even without gas in the tank. Would still be a better outcome than having to replace that thing

Also, try connecting a smal piece of hose at the pump, perhaps your fuel line might be clogged with gummed up gas?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it didn't hit after spraying starting fluid in it! Should have at least fired up, if you're getting spark!

Anyway, just wondering... do you have dual tanks?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 AM

It actually started! With half a can of starting fluid lol but it didn't run so it has to be the fuel pump I hear the motor running but no fuel pressure is it possible I could fix this? Won't know until I take it out but sounds like my pump is either clogged lost its junction hose or came loose from the sending unit... yes I do have 2 tanks as I can not tell you if it is one fuel pump as the driver side tank has been bone dry and drained for awhile as a matter of no pump in it(my dad's doing) but if we can confirm this is my pump I'll be ordering 2 to switch off incase anything ever happens again

Quick Reply: 95 f150 wont start