Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 F-150 pictures in exchange for a question :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 F-150 pictures in exchange for a question :D

1995 F-150 Eddie Bauer

4x4 manual 5 speed
V8 5.0L 302
142,000 miles

I bought this truck for about $4,000. I have put it off for a while but now i am beginning to perform a 100,000 mile tune up. I have not done much yet what i have done is as follows; sea foam'ed crankcase/brake vacuum booster line/fuel tank ran it for 10 miles and then used motor flush and changed out oil/oil filter.
changed out rotor , distributor cap , wires and plugs and that is it. The truck actually runs a little bit better now which is encouraging. My next job will be replacing the fuel filter. At that point i plan on pulling KOEO codes and addressing those issues. The reason i assume there will be codes is the truck does not have much power but runs good.

What concerns me is the clutch when fully engaged squeals in certain gears. The clutch also clunks or slams when engaging no matter how careful i am. I am under the impression i have to remove the Transfer case and Transmission to service the clutch. Is that an accurate impression and if so what am i looking at in terms of difficulty ? any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 95 F-150 pictures in exchange for a question :D-1.jpg   95 F-150 pictures in exchange for a question :D-2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Make sure the slamming isn't related to something else in the driveline like sloppy u-joints or worn rear end.
But for removal of the clutch you're looking at driveshafts, transfer case, transmission.
A couple extra things like trans mount bolts and clutch cylinder line (I just unbolted the master cylinder and dropped it down with the trans, still hooked up).
Most of those bolts will be frozen in there pretty good, so it would be a good idea to start soaking them once a day now with penetrating oil.
You can also go in ahead of time and undo bolts and do them back up (heat may be required) so that when you're ready to do the job you know things are going to come undone no problem - nothing like getting stuck with the last bolt not coming undone when everything else is already unhooked.
That way too if you get an impossible bolt you can take it somewhere and have them put it on a hoist and undo that bolt and do it back up for you - $20 ??
As for difficulty my kid and his friend pulled an automatic out of his 4x4 and threw another back in in a (long) day. That was their first time doing that and really the biggest problems they had were with stubborn bolts.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Make sure the slamming isn't related to something else in the driveline like sloppy u-joints or worn rear end.
But for removal of the clutch you're looking at driveshafts, transfer case, transmission.
A couple extra things like trans mount bolts and clutch cylinder line (I just unbolted the master cylinder and dropped it down with the trans, still hooked up).
Most of those bolts will be frozen in there pretty good, so it would be a good idea to start soaking them once a day now with penetrating oil.
You can also go in ahead of time and undo bolts and do them back up (heat may be required) so that when you're ready to do the job you know things are going to come undone no problem - nothing like getting stuck with the last bolt not coming undone when everything else is already unhooked.
That way too if you get an impossible bolt you can take it somewhere and have them put it on a hoist and undo that bolt and do it back up for you - $20 ??
As for difficulty my kid and his friend pulled an automatic out of his 4x4 and threw another back in in a (long) day. That was their first time doing that and really the biggest problems they had were with stubborn bolts.
thank you for the info chris i will begin soaking all the bolts with penetrating oil
i believe i have ujoint issues as well since the truck gets a slight vibration at around 45-55mph in and around the drive shaft area's.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 PM

I successfully changed out my fuel filter. I hooked up the jumper and ran the trouble codes- OBDI. i see the 542 and then it repeats 542 what i dont understand is why it does a series of one flash of the check engine light every 1-2 seconds seven times this is KOEO. what is this telling me guys ?!?!

Last edited by jonwon; 04-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

111..111..10..542..542 . translates ....system pass..breaker...fuel pump circuit open .....check fuel pressure to start with

Last edited by FORD TUFF; 04-20-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwon
thank you for the info chris i will begin soaking all the bolts with penetrating oil
i believe i have ujoint issues as well since the truck gets a slight vibration at around 45-55mph in and around the drive shaft area's.
I have basically the same truck as you, but with a straight 6 instead of your 5.0L I just had my trans rebuilt by a transmission shop, and to save $$$, did the rest of the labor myself. I agree with Chris1 regarding the U-Joints. That's the origin of many "clunking" sounds. As for removing the drive shaft, transfer case, and trans - yeah, it is definitely a chore. Removing the three took about 3 hours - at least half that time was spent on the bolts for the cross member holding up the trans. they are rusty, and two of them on each side are "hidden". You will see what I mean when you get under there.
Reinstalling went smoother, but was still difficult as I did not have a transmission jack. I am 6'4" pushing 280, and my son is 6'3" 220, and it took everything we had for about an hour to finally get it back in place. The hardest part about the re-install was bleeding the clutch line - not in terms of muscle, but in frustration. One other thing - when you replace the clutch, if you have the flywheel resurfaced, make sure to install it with shims. Even though they typically only grind off an amount listed in thousandths of an inch, it still matters. All told, I spent about $650 for the trans rebuild. $100 for the clutch, and another $100-$150 in supplies and other things (trans fluid, DOT3 brake fluid (for clutch), re-surface of fly wheel, etc). I save about $650 - $1000 in labor, depending on where you might take it. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by FORD TUFF
111..111..10..542..542 . translates ....system pass..breaker...fuel pump circuit open .....check fuel pressure to start with
i tripped the inertia switch with the engine running to reduce the fuel pressure so as to make the fuel filter replacement a little easier, i wonder if that triggered the 542 code.. what is the code 10 ? breaker ?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by joegeds
I have basically the same truck as you, but with a straight 6 instead of your 5.0L I just had my trans rebuilt by a transmission shop, and to save $$$, did the rest of the labor myself. I agree with Chris1 regarding the U-Joints. That's the origin of many "clunking" sounds. As for removing the drive shaft, transfer case, and trans - yeah, it is definitely a chore. Removing the three took about 3 hours - at least half that time was spent on the bolts for the cross member holding up the trans. they are rusty, and two of them on each side are "hidden". You will see what I mean when you get under there.
Reinstalling went smoother, but was still difficult as I did not have a transmission jack. I am 6'4" pushing 280, and my son is 6'3" 220, and it took everything we had for about an hour to finally get it back in place. The hardest part about the re-install was bleeding the clutch line - not in terms of muscle, but in frustration. One other thing - when you replace the clutch, if you have the flywheel resurfaced, make sure to install it with shims. Even though they typically only grind off an amount listed in thousandths of an inch, it still matters. All told, I spent about $650 for the trans rebuild. $100 for the clutch, and another $100-$150 in supplies and other things (trans fluid, DOT3 brake fluid (for clutch), re-surface of fly wheel, etc). I save about $650 - $1000 in labor, depending on where you might take it. Good luck!
thanks for the info sounds like a pain, i dont have help, tranny jack and im not a big dude.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Yes it is a pain. You can buy an adaptor for a floor jack for lifting tranny's.
There's always a mechanic. They're a little pricey, but if you can't get it done yourself ... Truck looks like it's worth throwing some money at if it needs it.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 PM

hey guys i whent key on engine on with the jumper CEL flashed 4 quick flashes , then the engine revved up on a previously warmed up engine to about 1500 came back down to a normal idle (800) and that was it. its either 4 or 1,111. what does this all mean thanks for helP

Quick Reply: 95 F-150 pictures in exchange for a question :D