Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 5.8 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Quantum mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 5.8 hesitation

Hello all!
Pretty new to the forum but I'm hoping you can help.
I have a Bone stock 1995 F150 4x4 with a 5.8 & AT 180,000 miles, just picked it up a little while ago and it has a slight hesitation from a standing start, the harder I try to accelerate the more noticeable the hesitation, probably twice in the last month the check engine light came on when cruising along but then went back off in say 3 minutes or so...

I also only get about 12 miles to the gallon around town.
This is my first F150 so I'm not sure if thats normal or not.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Check the computer for codes, this thread will explain how:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 PM

oxygen sensor
Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Quantum mechanic

Check the computer for codes
Originally Posted by stump jumper
oxygen sensor
genius! your diagnosis is the same as my good friend the Auto X-Ray .. didn't know the truck would store codes even if the light is off....

guess that'll get replaced along with the everything else from the manifolds back.... darn rusty exhaust... any bets on how many exhaust bolts/studs I'm going to break off in the heads??

Thank you,
Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 PM
American Pride!!

Originally Posted by aluminumpuppy
genius! your diagnosis is the same as my good friend the Auto X-Ray .. didn't know the truck would store codes even if the light is off....

guess that'll get replaced along with the everything else from the manifolds back.... darn rusty exhaust... any bets on how many exhaust bolts/studs I'm going to break off in the heads??

Thank you,

As a matter of fact Im pondering on how Im going to tackle getting the studs out of the manifold that I broke off today trying to replace the worn out donut gaskets in my 96 5.8. I figure if I just keep replacing things that maybe one day I will be able to replace a part that doesnt have bolts and nuts that have became one with one another. Good Luck!! Its all worth it though, once youre FINALLY done.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Quantum mechanic

I suspect I'll be investing in one of these... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Quantum mechanic

My air tube that clamps to the exhaust just down stream from the cat is all rusty where it connects to the main pipe (didn't survive disassembly) What does it do?
What happens if I just squish it and weld it shut? Don't have emissions testing out here so that's not an issue, just don't want to effect running.
I suppose I could weld a nipple on the new pipe and attach it with some hi-temp silicone hose.
I plan on using the original manifolds and head pipes cut off right at the cat (so I still have my O2 boss) then using a "Y" to connect the 2 pipes to a 3" single thru a turbo muffler and out the side..
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stump jumper
oxygen sensor
I agree bad gas mileage is a dead giveway.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suspect I'll be investing in one of these... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Save yourself a bunch of money go here: This one is $72.95
http://www.toolplanet.com/product/Ne...ill/air-drills

Snap-On tools are nice but unless you are making a living with such tools the cost is not justified. You can get good service with Neiki, Chicago Pneumatics, etc for a lot less money.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

My air tube that clamps to the exhaust just down stream from the cat is all rusty where it connects to the main pipe (didn't survive disassembly) What does it do?
What happens if I just squish it and weld it shut? Don't have emissions testing out here so that's not an issue, just don't want to effect running.
I suppose I could weld a nipple on the new pipe and attach it with some hi-temp silicone hose.
I plan on using the original manifolds and head pipes cut off right at the cat (so I still have my O2 boss) then using a "Y" to connect the 2 pipes to a 3" single thru a turbo muffler and out the side..
That pipe pushes in fresh air from the smog pump to help induce the burning of the remaining unburnt fuel. Removing it won't affect the way the truck runs. I welded mine shut too.

Quick Reply: 95 5.8 hesitation